Home Chat Race Chat

BIG HILLS -IRONMAN UK

Entered my first Ironman, the August one in Dorset. I did the first 3 HIMUK's including the first one in Sherbourne and remember a bit of a big hill. Now, can anyone help? The race profile shows a hill about 250 metres, repeated 3 times. We have ridden to Brighton a couple of times now and struggled up Ditchling Beacon which seems to be about the same height as the one in the race profile. Is it really that bad? Any one with a bit of local knowledge, ease my anguish[&o]

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 209
    maddog, the hill you're thinking of is Lions Gate if it's the one at 8 miles into the course. I went out & recce'd the course a couple of weeks ago & it's a bit of a shocker when you round the corner & see it for the first time disappearing up & up. I would class myself as an 'intermediate' cyclist & I made it up on my 39x26 without too much of a problem. By the time you get round to it for a third time you might be getting tired! I'm more concerned about the 8 mile grind back out from Dorchester towards Sherborne. Lions Gate isn't Wimbleball type steep, if you've any experience of that. See you there. Good luck with the training.

Cheers

Rob
  • Maddog, have a look here and compare it to what you're used to.

[color=#800080]http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/cerne-abbas/99647602[/color]

I have a similar hill on my training runs so I'll just practice going up that a few times to get more used to it.

I guess the thing I keep remembering is that nobody told us it would be easy did they?!
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Thats a great site, LifeofRiley. How do people find all these things?!!!
  • maddogmaddog Posts: 4
    LifeofRiley wrote:

Maddog, have a look here and compare it to what you're used to.

[color=#800080]http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/cerne-abbas/99647602[/color]

I have a similar hill on my training runs so I'll just practice going up that a few times to get more used to it.

I guess the thing I keep remembering is that nobody told us it would be easy did they?!

Maybe not, but it seems easier than trying this out. It appears to be on my IT skills and my computer capacity.

I still think I remember my mate telling me it would be easy[:'(]

• I went to sherbourne this weekend, and did the bike course...Talk about easy, i was doing 30 mph no problem for most of it, the hills were a little tricky though and went on for a while.... Did i mention i was in my car....Oh my god, they are massive.This is not going to be fun....To be fair there are some awesome downhill bits, and some amazing views, so fingers crossed, we may just make it...!
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Hey Johnathan, you had me worried for a bit there when you said you'd done 30mph for most of it! I was hoping it wasn't just me who thought it was quite tough. Third time round coming back from Dorchester is going to be nasty. But there is the reward of that really fast downhill stretch straight after. Balls out on the aero bars on the day I reckon. Get out & ride it , scare yourself some more!

Rob