Home Chat Race Chat

South Coast Tri

I am competing in the South Coast Tri @ Seaford in September (sprint distance) for the first time, and as I regularly compete in sprint tri's, I do not have a wet suit as most races are pool based. From experience of previous years, does anybody know if just a Tri Suit would be OK for this race - or would I be at a serious disadvantage? I am a decent club swimmer but all training is based in the swimming pool. I also don't plan to do any more open swims this year......

If I do need one, I favour the Long John option (because of the better range of movement). Is this a good idea instead of a full suit? Or would I miss the lack of buoyancy?

Thanks (again).

(Sorry - posted this twice - did not see the Events Forum! New to all this........)

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    All you need to know is the water temperature, if you're a good swimmer and the water is warm a trisuit is fine. If the water is cold, the longjohns will be adequate but get in a few open water swims to acclimatise to the water temp.
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    It's also worth checking with the race organisers and see what they recommend. They probably know the area better and can make recommendations from personal experience, year on year. I did the South Coast Olympic distance a few years ago and found the ocean to be medium temperature and very rolling waters. The wet suit was useful for buoyancy, not just for the water temperature.

And, for my two cents' worth, I did not enjoy the cycle part of the race, because it was something like 20 laps of a short out-and-back course along the sea front. I found it to be boring, and not much chance to open up on stretch your legs (I'm more a fan of the long, country-side rides like at Clacton or the city-scape ride of London, and not the round-and-round in small circles like at the South Coast), and I'm still not sure if I did the correct number of laps or not.
  • BraddersBradders Posts: 5
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will brave the swim in a Tri Suit - although I have managed to borrow one in case. Fortunately I work by the coast and might be able to test the water nearer the time. Spoke to the race organiser's, and they say that there is a 50/50 mix of people who wear wetsuits for the sprint. Guess I hope its been a warm summer!

• rhardyrhardy Posts: 1
    Bradders,

You may not need to worry about the swim, last year the swim was cancelled due to the bad weather. [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m13.gif[/image] The coast guard said it was unsafe so the swim was changed to another run. I guess that’s September in the sea for you! Brighton just down the road was a mill pond.

I agree with rpopper the bike is not great as it is straight up and down the cost road and gets pretty boring, look out for the seagull surprise on the lamp posts if it’s windy. I spent the whole course worrying if one of the piles would get blown of and target some poor unsuspecting cyclist!