Home Chat General Chat

New here... Could I do it? Should I do it?

Heres the deal, I am 27 and from Norwich, about 10 weeks ago I gave up smoking and then decided that with my new found lung capacity I should start to get a touch fitter.

I am now running 2/3 times a week and upping the distance travelled every time.

What I really want is to set myself a challenge, something to aim for, something to work towards.

I already plan to do a few road races nearer the end of the year but am thinking about doing something, well, more challenging.

What I have in mind is the 2008 ( presuming it happens ) Norwich Triathlon.

This gives me just over 12months to train for it.

Possible? Not possible?

I am not looking to WIN the race, just take part ( and not finish last )

Back in my yoof I was pretty fit as I cycled everywhere and was a keen mountain biker, but I went through a bit of a mid twenties crisis.

Thoughts?

oh, and I can't actually swim at the moment...

Comments

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    No problem at all, that's loads of time to prepare. Get some swimming lessons to save all the hours of trawling up and down the pool without getting any better and the rest is down to a bit of work.

David.
  • RobbiedONTRobbiedONT Posts: 9

Thats exactly the answer I wanted to hear!

I guess I should start drawing up a training programme.

And learn to swim

And buy a bike

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Congratulations Robbie, as you can see this is a great site for info, help and encouragement. Id imagine with your previous experience and as your cardio improves you will be itching to enter an event before '08. Good luck.
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    Twelve months is plenty of time. Go for it. Just build up slowly so you don't risk injuring yourself and you will be fit enough before you know it. At most races the majority of people know they aren't going to win. They are competing against themselves and the people they know are at the same level as them.

Mike

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    Go for it! You've got plenty of time. And I'll bet you're fitter now than I was when I started training for triathlons 4 years ago. Just beware: it's addictive.

Maybe join a club, talk to a coach and/or get The Triathlete's Training Bible (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathletes-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382425/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-7277870-1174866?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179917201&sr=8-1).

No, I'm not a sales rep for Joe Friel's books, just a big fan and this book has really helped me set my training plan and focus my limited time in training this year.
  • Tim RulesTim Rules Posts: 9
    Yep, plenty of time. Start reading up, making plans and I guarantee you will throughly enjoy it. Once you finish you'll probably be planning your next event on your way home!

Best of luck
  • milnercraigmilnercraig Posts: 36
    Just to echo what everybody else has said...you could do it and you should do it.

I was in a similar position about 18 months ago in that I had a gym membership that I never used. I set my self the challenge of a sprint event and I've not looked back...for what it's worth.

Get a few swimming lessons just to get you technique something like decent - believe me it makes a BIG difference

Join a club - I don't go every week but the organised swimming session (esp the open water) have really helped me

Put a SIMPLE programme together - know why you are doing each session and keep the complexity to a minimum. I've found it helpful to limit myself to a managable number of hours per week that way I can keep everybody happy, myself, the missus, the dog et al!!

The Triathletes Training Bible is good but I find it very complex. It does explain the principles of training well mind you. I prefer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathlete-Complete-Triathlon-Book/dp/0446679283/ref=pd_bbs_6/202-1703030-9804620?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179998102&sr=8-6

and also have used this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathlon-Training-Four-Hours-Week/dp/1579547486/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/202-1703030-9804620?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179998139&sr=8-3

Whatever you decide...good luck and enjoy it