Home Chat General Chat

Hire then buy wetsuits

I'm signed up for London this year, and am starting to look into getting a wetsuit. This will be my first year at OD and open water swimming so like the idea of "Hire then buy". The two sites/suits I have seen are:

Wetsuithire.co.uk: STR 1.5 Speedo triathlon total price £164.99
Triandrun (through Human Race Event management): Speedo Tri-eventtotal price £120.

Would welcome any thoughts and guidance.
Many thanks

Comments

• I used triuk.com...paid a £50 deposit whilst hire and just keep the wetsuit or send back and get money back..
    they seem to have last years FOOR on for £35 at the moment...i believe they are one of the biggest suppliers of hired wetsuits in the country

http://triuk.com/product/wetsuit-hire
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    The thing with the triuk suits are

1. Foor suits are good and I have a quatum 3
    2. The hire suiyts used to be H20 foor suits and they had a reputation for not lasting and being thin. Not sure if thats still the case. I go in to triuk at leat one ever 2 months just to tease myself with bling. If you live close to yeovil I would get down there and see what they have.

I spent £200 quid on a suit and its great. This seems to be only a bit more than a hore suit from speedo.

I would try before you buy if you can. They even have a pool to try it in.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Similar situation -I hired a foor Quantum from TriUK with the intention of sending it back afterwards.....missed the deadline so instead of £50 hire for the year I ended up buying it for £90.

Not bad value but interesting to hear they are considered fragile. I've put two holes in mine putting it on whereas my mates is unmarked. Didnt think i was being rough with it and did all the usuall tricks of plastic bags over feet and hands trimmed my fingernails etc.

The fact I did damage it meant I'd have probably been charged full whack if i sent it back anyway.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I've had the Speedo from wetsuithire for 3 years and had no problems with it
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    TRI UK all day every day.
    I hired a Foor Quantm four years ago and still have it.Great bouyancy for beginners.This suit has had loads of wear and abuse and is still going strong.If and when I replace it gonna go for same again.
    My mate has bought three expensive ones since I got mine.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    eamonn wrote:
    TRI UK all day every day.
    I hired a Foor Quantm four years ago and still have it.Great bouyancy for beginners.This suit has had loads of wear and abuse and is still going strong.If and when I replace it gonna go for same again.
    My mate has bought three expensive ones since I got mine.
    So he's the proper triathlete then?