Home Chat General Chat

Tethered swimming

Swimming in a small pool with a fixed rope or similar

Getting to a local god sized pool takes forever but I’m lucky enough to have access to a 9m pool.

I know that tethered swimming is something that people do but I have no idea of how to train in this way.

Can anyone shed any light!

For example; elastic rope? Swim style?

Thanks for the input

Comments

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    I think the rope has to be elastic to allow for some give on it and so it doesn't dig into your skin too much. Usually it's a special type of harness that allows you to swim ahead a little bit and hold you back so that you never move more than a metre or so forward. You should be able to adjust the length and tension, too, depending on how much force you exert wehn swimming. It depends on the set-up of the harness and the contraption holding the harness, but I think you can swim in any style you want, as long as you don't get tangled in the harness.
  • DiggerDigger Posts: 3
    rpopper65 wrote:

I think the rope has to be elastic to allow for some give on it and so it doesn't dig into your skin too much. Usually it's a special type of harness that allows you to swim ahead a little bit and hold you back so that you never move more than a metre or so forward. You should be able to adjust the length and tension, too, depending on how much force you exert wehn swimming. It depends on the set-up of the harness and the contraption holding the harness, but I think you can swim in any style you want, as long as you don't get tangled in the harness.

Well! I got some elastic rope and yes, it did work ……….sort of.

Great resistance and no problems swimming except that my legs were sinking.

Two observations;

that the lack of planning effect of the water over the legs means the torso basically sinks.[/ol]

possibly the rope needs to fixed higher above the water to give some lift to the back end. [/ol]

Googled a lots of commercial products like this, they either have poles above the water or floats.

Any other feedback?

Anyone tried this system?