Home Chat General Chat

Open water lake swim

I have done a couple of open water swims in a lake with wetsuit. I do a good swim but as soon as I get out I get dizzy. I have a sit down for 5 mins and then I am fine.

Any suggestions as to how to avoid this - would a neoprene hat solve the problem or is it something worth looking at further - breathing etc.

Comments

• JulieMacJulieMac Posts: 30
    Its possible that its the change in blood pressure. From being horizontal for 30 min or how ever long your out splashing about to vertical can cause dizzyness. It probably is somthing your body will become accustomed to. Do you not find a similar thing when you get out after a pool session?

Maybe try to take things a bit steadier and see if it helps but get in plenty of training befor you race so you don't fall over running into T1. It might be an idea to do some transition training, simulating what you would experiance going into T1 at least you'll know what to expect.

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    It is often recommended that as you approach the end of your swim, the last 100-200 metres, start to kick a bit harder with your legs. This will help to even out the distribution of blood around your body, it will also be of benefit when you get on the bike.

David.