Home Chat General Chat

Base training!?!?!

Hi,

with base training or winter training, I read and heard every where that you should just kinda take it easy and not to as many hours a week training,as you can easily become un-motivated or overtrained, unlike you would a few weeks leading up to a race.

known as build or peak phase of training, where as training should be more specific to the race your training for!

so heres my problem Im still doing base training or winter training until end of april time, untill I start more specific training for Ironman 70.3 uk.

so I know to get lots of 'long slow' miles in!

I work 3 long days, then have 4 days off work.

so I have

1 long ride 4:00+

1 long run 90 mins +

and swim 3 times

all spreaded out over 4 days, but is their any more training I could do that won't cause me to overtrain!

because currently thats about 9-12 hours a week. but I can do more. do you guys think I should include any more sessions or just leave it as that for now???

thanks for reading my post[;)]

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    One question are the four days consecutive or is it any four days in a week?
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    4 days in a row, the idea is to go mad over 4 days then rest while im working for 3 days
  • so it is true, a real triathlete does say that work days are rest days![;)]
    [:D] yeah work days are rest days[:D]
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Thats greta for one week but thr week after do two shorter ride and two shorter runs.... basically you need to mix things up a bit every other week. to keep things interesting and also so you odnt get too used to anything..
    yea your right thanks!

I do sometimes wake up and think 'oh I know have to sit in the saddle for 6 hours pedaling really slow in zone 1' most of the times i enjoy it but yes if i mix it up a bit....

thanks[:D]
  • Hi Scott

I'm also training for the 70.3 and as a newbee to triathlon am slightly beaning myself at the prospect... I have joined a Triathlon club and the coach there is great - when i first started training i was completely overwhelmed but he sent me an email with some cracking advice on it. If you want to give me an email address I could forward it to you - it motivated me!!!

Have you done Wimbleball before???
    hi,

ok thanks that will be great, i will pm my email add.

yeah i done wimbleball as my first triathlon last year with not alot of training, and i payed for it big time. but it was such a good weekend, great atmosphere, great people.

the race was so good!!!!
  • I decided to use a time trial training prog this year for the cycling and its changed my thinking completely. Even for full on time trial riding (with no complications and the extra demands of multisports) the programme recommends only 4 bike sessions a week to avoid overdoing it - which surprised me. The other days were less formal and suggested a focus on core strength and flexibility training. Seems like less is more sometimes.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    This is interesting; last year I followed a pretty sophisticated programme for IMch which had a good base element to it and the it got all intervally. I learned alot about my response to training. During the Summer after I entered IM70.3 Bel I sat down with my training diaries, HRM data, cycle computer data etc. I decided to do a prolonged base programme of 4 key sessions per week packed out with rest, sculling, light running or whatever. 1. 1 hour non-stop swimming, 2. 60km on the turbo @40kmh, 3. 20km running (100min) 4. long cycle 100 -180 km with club. So far this has worked quite well;I knew I could do it without boredom as I like hard work; I'm fit, confident, and skinny. The problem is I fear that this diet of LSD (long slow distance) may have stiffled my ability to work outside my comfort zone; ie I may not be able to race the race. At the moment I'm trying to come up with a formula of distance intervals that will get speed into the endurance. I'll keep you posted