Home Chat General Chat

Race Pace

Does anyone know how, if there is a way to get an exact heart rate reading for Ironman race pace using lactate threshold HR or VO2 max??

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Yes..race one & see! Such an individual thing that either lab testing to get closer to lab thresholds..which may vary from race thresholds, but be in the same ballpark..ish.
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    I'm sure you're not going to get an exact HR to work off. Even if you can work out the exact training intensity you want to work at, for example a well trained athlete can work at 50% of VO2max for prolonged periods (8 hours +), HR may not be the best way to monitor this intensity due to cardiac drift, which is an increase in HR as blood volume is reduced.

This isn't to say that HR isn't of some use, but I don't think you will find an exact figure to stick at.

David.
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    No, I know an exact HR isn't possible to go by, due to cardiac drift and alot of other things!

but I have a high VO2 max of 86 but my lactate threshold is low in comparison 155 BPM for bike I'm told 7-10 beats higher for running by my VO2 assesor.

I do long bike rides at the same as ironman distance, but as long slow training averaging around 130-135 and some times go for a longish run after and feel ok at the end, so I'm guessing i can push a little harder?!?!

Maybe 140-145 AVG. what do ya think ?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I find this a good question; surely there must be a way to keep track of for example an average heart rate percentage for a certain distance!? Let's say you know your max and rest heart rate.so then you can say my 75% heart rate for that day is for example 156, and that is your average for an IM distance????(just an example with out of theair numbers!!)

I'm really curious to find out if anyone knows some proven theories, self tested numbers or anything like it.
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    If you are looking for a rough zone to work in, then here are some pointers. Firstly Scott you need to clarify which threshold corresponds to 155 bpm. In a blood lactate profile you should be given 2 thresholds; lactate threshold and lactate turnpoint (often called anaerobic threshold). These terms get used for different intensities by different people. Lactate turnpoint is the intensity that trained athletes should be able to maintain for about 60 mins. Research has shown that Ironman competitors race at a power output below this. So assuming that 155 bpm is your lactate turnpoint, I would say 145 bpm is a good guess at race pace. But I mentioned before, don't expect it to stay at this.

If on the other hand 155 bpm is actually your lactate threshold, then you will probably be capable of racing at a slightly higher intensity, this is where it becomes individual.

When you look at the training zones you work in, it starts to make more sense. Anything below lactate threshold is considered easy training, anything over lactate turnpoint would be tempo training (neither of which I would suggest are correct for an Ironman race), anything in between is moderate, which is more likely to be your race pace.

I hope I haven't made made things more complicated.

David.
  • scott298scott298 Posts: 122
    Cheers David,

Sounds pretty clear!