Home Chat General Chat

Fainting after exercising in hot weather...

Hi,

In February I went to Portugal were the weather was as hot as it is now in this country. Whilst on holiday I went for a run, not long, but it was all up hill, and I ran it hard. On entering our villa which was dark and defiantly a lot colder than outside I went and got some water and then hit the deck, on top of said broken glass, scrapping my head down the wall as I went! I was fine, but I did give my wife one hell of a scare, and I was a bit shock up by the experience, especially as this is the first time it had ever happened.

On Friday afternoon, again whilst very hot, again on my return from a run I felt as though it may happen again, it never, but for a few minutes I felt quite dodgy.

I'm a bit concerned, as obviously most of my tri's will be in hot weather and I don't want to faint at the end and cause an unnecessary scare.

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone managed to overcome this? Is it as simple as wearing a hat in hot weather?

Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    If you are racing in the UK most of your tris will not be in hot weather! Just kiddding, am guessing either a fuelling issue, or lack thereof maybe? Your Portugese adventure could well have been the change of temp from hot to cool, combined with a sudden stop after an intense effort (guessing here) blood will pool in the legs, try to go to the peripheries to cool you leaving the brain a little short.

So try a cool down jog (after the finishing line & your crossing the line photo) to redistribute the blood more evenly, hats are OK providedthey don't end up boiling your brain..even the most vented coolmax fabric come off my head soon into a run..& I feel a fool in a visor which won't keep the sun off my streamlined head anyway. Hope this helps.
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    Go see a doctor, best get these things checked out.
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    I'd agree with Britspin and I think its a very good description of the physiology of whats likely to be happening. Another thought is that you have to acclimatise a little more slowly than going out and belting out a run in weather with hills, that your body is not accoustomed to. Maybe a couple of easier shorter runs to give your body a chance?
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I also went to speak to our occupational health department who said the most likely cause is dehydration, along with loosing too many minerals through sweat.

This would make a lot of sense as I'm not very good at pre-hydration, only really drinking coffee during the day. She also suggested drinking a sports drink as part of that hydration routine. I only normally drink the SIS PSP22 Energy drink during my long weekend ride, but I have to say, I don't find it very thirst quenching. Should I maybe drink a bottle along with water a couple of hours before hot weather exercise?

So I guess now I'm looking for pre-hydration along with race hydration advice, how much, product recommendations and so forth. Would anyone recommend mixing a go gel with water, surly this would provide some of the carbs and salts needed?

Thanks again...