Home Chat General Chat

Would you use software to help you train?

Hey guys,

Im looking at possible projects to bulk up my CV. I was thinking about maybe trying to put together a system which helped schedule routines with specific goals. It would also work out nutrition plans and the like. It would also work with certian mobile phones to add reminders and suchlike (symbian 60 (thats most new phones) and windows mobile).

Without saying too much, the system would more or less tell you what to do based from certain knowledge bases on both nutrition and exercises based on relevant factors such as injury, equipment, availability etc.

Who would use this?

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Techie Alert: Contains non-tri related nerdy stuff.... stop reading now!

Hello comanighttrain,

Like the few people who have voted, I said I'd use it if it was free - but I'd probably expect it to be advert-supported if that were the case. If I like it, I'd buy the ad-free version. On the other hand, if it was actually good....

The incredibly useful mapmy... set-up already has this covered, it seems: www.mapmyrun.com is now advertising a free iPhone app you can download from here: www.imapmy.com

Given that the mapmy... sites already offer training logs which you can now update on the go, and they have the mapping software to back them up it is harder to find a niche.

I'd say that your idea for personal training plans would work, but you'd need a LOT of science to go into it to have my plan adapt to the fact that I missed a session, or hurt my shoulder or whatever. The mobile aspect, for recording session results and syncing later or live over-the-air would be very cool, and you could also be ready for the increasing number of mobile devices that ship GPS units internally.

If you wanted to give yourself the widest possible mobile base then Java might be a better bet than S60 - find a J2ME set-up for Eclipse or similar as a dev env, and your positioning stuff comes through the JSR 179 standard API - although admittedly Java becomes a bitch for interoperability testing. Alternatively, given that iPhone is already covered and S60 limits you to Nokia and a few other individual models (i.e. the way things are now, not the way things mightl be in the future) I would strongly suggest that the smart money for a mobile-enabled service would be on Google Android.

Android also has the advantage that the port from standard mobile J2ME java to Android J2SE-ish java should not be too onerous.

OK.... time for me to go and eat some porridge and maybe polish my red carbon fibre stuff, and try to forget that I know anything about life outside triathlon. I will do some brick sessions as penance.