Home Chat General Chat

Do you Cross Train?

Cross Training. Do you do it?

I am going to try and work Kettlebells into my current routine (See below) as I will be competing in BJJ post august. Good idea? Any Advice? And do you cross train?

Comments

• ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    I do some weights in the gym but this is more because of my soon-to-be-new-life as a personal trainer rather than because I feel the need to. In fact, I probably don't do it frequently enough for it to actually be making a difference but I am finding that I'm getting very strong, all over, just with the tri-training.

Having said that I started from a weak base of no cycling or swimming ever, so I guess that's why I'm finding the training really works. Maybe as I get better, I'll need to do add back in some other stuff but probably not for this season.

The exception to that, core work which I do religiously but maybe more out of habit and fear than because I need to.

What's BBJ?
  • BJJ - Brazilian Jui Jitsu.

Sweaty men rolling around on the floor applying painful submission holds. And thats me making it sound romantic :P

• ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    oooh errrr....

[;)]

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I dont even go to a gym. 4 seasons training in the great out doors for me.

The croos trainer looks goo though, it supports your body weight whilst exercising.

I got lost after you mentioned Brazilian. .............Cant think why.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    None of this cross-dressing nonsense for me. I wear trousers.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I cross train all the time - as I invariably seem to have some injury which prevents me from doing what I want.

However, in a multi-discipline sport, I'm not sure what cross training is! Weights for core etc. seems to be essential rather than cross training.

So, when I use the rowing machine, I count that as cross training.
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I cross-dress cross-train - I like the extra airflow!

Seriously though - lived on one while I was recovering from knee lighament injury - no impact.

• oh man i get the feeling everyone one is thinking cross trainer instead of cross training :| Thread Fail
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Conehead, is the 1000 reps like the "300 workout" but 3 times more? I tried the 300 session once. Once being the operative word. Works places you didnt know existed.
  • i once did 1000 squats. :|

I can also do one handed pushups and squats. doubt i could manage 1000 though [:D]

The problem with the high rep workouts i found was i got fatigue, whereas when i wake up after the night of the kettlebell i feel like £1000000

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    Dude i think your obsessed with your kettle balls.

This is a Triathlon forum, so every person on here CROSS TRAIN'S , because we all RUN,SWIM AND CYCLING those three things in itself would be classed as cross training.

What i think you should of said is

Do you use conditioning in your workout's ???

But again if your serious about tri you got to forget the weights mate, its not about muscle, muscle on a triathlete aint going to help you, if your want to do addition things to assist in the tri, you should train circuit training( for your core), or pullups, pressups etc.

You wont find many good tri athletes with muscles like arnie or dolph, the muscle will just get in the way.
  • Dude, I am obsessed with kettlebells! :D, single best conditioning tool i have found.

I dont want to be a tri champion. Its just something i enjoy, but i also enjoy not looking mega skinny!

I read in an article that Ironman distance athletes can use kettlebells to improve muscle firing and bodily movement.

• Jelly legsJelly legs Posts: 278
    If you dont want to win races or even be fast.

Build that muscle my friend

Best advise one month of eating chicken and tuna, with veg of course.

And hit the free weights, fly's, presses, curls.

they will all build muscle but wont help with the tri to much, it might look good for the ladies.

• I didn't do cross training (in terms of strength and conditioning) until recently when I realised it was the best way to reduce the risk of injury! Definately worth doing, just making sure the sets are endurance sets rather than hypertrophy sets (therefore reducing any increase in muscle mass)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Aren't kettlebells just dumbbells with handles?
  • I'm usually quite happy[:)] when i train do get cross when a lunatic driver cuts me off,get stung by jellyfish etc[:D]
  • Naaaaawwww, the way you use it and the way it behaves is different
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    After a moment of dumbness I now understand the thread and am sorry for the mix up!

Yes I do cross train. I always do some step work whilst out running when I go past the park entrance which has 20 steps up to it. i tend to sprint them 2 times each time I pass which is twice. I also use the gates to a local car park for some reverse press ups. I also take alot of pressups and sit ups and weights into my core sessions. I also do rowing squats and lunges with and without weights.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    rowing & sculling throughout the year. great stuff