Home Chat General Chat

Swim training with a hangover

I drank two bottles of red last night [:'(] and i got to swim tonight

You guys ever train hungover?

Comments

• JuniacroodeJuniacroode Posts: 51
    Had a few glasses of red last night (enough to make me feel rubbish given I rarely drink anymore) and just had a great swim session this morning. You'll be fine. The guilt will push you harder, just try and rehydrate during the day!

Sorry Conehead, won't happen again (excepting my birthday of course)!
  • SwizzlenapSwizzlenap Posts: 160
    Occasionally. I find that a run really helps get rid of a hangover, haven't tried swimming with one.

But if I drank two bottles of red I'd probably be out of action for about a week....or hospitalised!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    500mls of IV fluids and you'll be training like normal. [;)]

Tricks of the trade.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I haven't swum with a hangover (i think the amount of water I swallow would react badly) but i have run with one (raced and set a pb over that distance) and the key is plenty of liquids before and also eating. I find that the chocolate alpen cereal bars are really good for energy when i have a hangover.

let us know how you get on as i may be doing some open water sessions following a night out (so with a hang over) soon.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Funny you should say that I know Doctors that have been known to hook themselves up to an IV after a heavy night.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    as a consumate professional in this area...[&:] I would have to say that swimming is by far and above the best cure...that lovely cold water just eases the hangover blues away..[:)].as for running..hmmmm not good when your pounding head develops at every step and you end up with a sledgehammer banging away to remind you of your antics the night before..[:@] ...and cycling, well every pot hole makes your stomach feel like it's on a roller coaster and each hill just..........well let's not go there!! Easiest thing is just not to drink I think!![:D][:D][:D]
  • Training with a hang-over is far less debilitating than training when ill, before I stopped drinking I was only ever 'ill' after a night out not hungover so I stayed clear of exercising too much. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    gunforhire wrote:

Funny you should say that I know Doctors that have been known to hook themselves up to an IV after a heavy night.

few puffs on the oxygen cylinder work preety well to[:D]
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @ Coma - Not since I found the church of triathlon.

I never seem to get time to drink that much. I always feel shitty after 3 pints! Southern softy I hear you say. It means my pockets stay fuller for tri gear!
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    swam today after a heavy social event yesterday lasting 6 hours!...started off very slow then after couple of lengths everything went really well!!....not going to make it a regular training schedule though...
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    A sportsman friend thought he had been dropped one weekend so went out and got absoulutely creamed, anyway following morning theres a phonecall informing him that a few of the lads had been taken sick so he had to report for duty.

A five mile run in a black bag later two packs of mints and a bottle of listerine he got man of the match against some portugeuse diving twat!

So iit must work!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    An early morning swim in Hampstead Lido or other cold-ish water = guaranteed hangover cure.

Later in the day: only solution is to go to bed in my experience, with a hair of the dog of course.
    clarkey30 wrote:

A sportsman friend thought he had been dropped one weekend so went out and got absoulutely creamed, anyway following morning theres a phonecall informing him that a few of the lads had been taken sick so he had to report for duty.

A five mile run in a black bag later two packs of mints and a bottle of listerine he got man of the match against some portugeuse diving twat!

So iit must work!

When I played football I always played best when I was out late and struggled to get out of bed on the morning of the match. Every now & then we'd havea really big game so I'd stay in and watch TV. I always played crap the next day.

That said, I was a goalkeeper.

• clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    where'd you play PC.
  • garygurunggarygurung Posts: 1
    I always seem to be training pissed, it dulls the pain of the amount of money I have spent since taking up this torture 9 months ago!
  • Well swim went great, did 20 neg splits, and 30 regular lengths.

Ofcourse there was the fat overtaking guy, android kid and house wife nemisis all there on the same day.... and i couldnt find the pool.

clarkey30 wrote:

where'd you play PC.

At the foot of the Dublin mountains, Leinster Senior League, Div 3C!