Home Chat General Chat

What got you started on Tri?

13»

Comments

• lappieszalappiesza Posts: 36
    Mine takes me back to a crap part of life. I will keep it brief!

Lost my son, went off the rails, nearly lost my job and needed a focus. Triathlon was it and in 3 years of starting lost 10kg, competed for GB and ........... well not done yet!!!!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    For me it was a realisitaion that I was unfit and unhealthy - the kids were getting older and I couldn't keep up - so took up Cycling to get fit - shortly after reading up onbikes etc I read an article about Triathlon - so decided hmmm maybe I should try that ... and so I did - well nearly, my first one is in May.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Came 4th in a sculling race. The conditions were perfect, I was very well prepared, I had top end kit, and I raced to the best of my ability - all my competitors were 10 years (at least) younger than me, the penny dropped I was past my best and the competition were at their best. I accepted this and publically announced I would do an Iron Man - which I did exactly 1 year later
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Hey Jess and Cheryl, Looks as if I'm not otherwise obligated on the 10th so shouldn't be a problem. I literally have about £10 to my name until a cheque clears and my other lodger pays rent so as soon as I have funds will enter! Am not keen on this early start business though!!!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Woo hoo Bex-game on!! Great that you're coming too, it'll be a riot! You can enter right up to the week before so plenty of time to scrape together funds...
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    Lost my son, went off the rails, nearly lost my job and needed a focus.

Your tag line makes total sense now. I lost my husband 8 years ago and it does change everything you do and how you think doesn't it? The banality of life goes out of the window-no time for that, and in comes quality, appreciation and tenacity.. Not scared of dying now although I don't take stupid risks and whilst not religious as such I do believe that we meet our love one's again in a different life....
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Haven't read the other posts all, but to answer the original question:

I was in awe after seing a documentary on fellow Belgian Marc Herremans. He was a promising IM Hawai competitor and tipped as one of the favourites for the next year, until he crashed his bike and himself on a rock in Lanza. He came back as a wheelchair athlete the next year and is an inspiration to thousands, I'm defo one of them!!! He's the raiser of the 'To Walk Again Foundation', focusing on youngsters in wheelchairs.

I remember seing the docu on tv like it was yesterday, I believe it will inspire me for the rest of my life!
  • iangriffiangriff Posts: 48
    For years i just ran & ran, enjoyed cycling and I love water. can't remember when i first seen triathlon but i liked the thought of just going straight from one thing to another,wearing just shorts and vest still wet from the swim real test of endurance. Always thought you needed a proper road bike though to compete until i got chatting to an instructor at the gym.

Couple of weeks later me and my trusty old steed turned up at the Wansdyke tri.

I was one of the last to cross the line but enjoyed every minute.

Like the rest of you I now train for tri and tell myself I WILL perform better if i buy one of those.[:)]