Home Chat General Chat

Looking to do 1/2 IM 2008

I'm doing my first Ironman next year at IM.Switzerland on 13/07/2008. And looking to do a 1/2IM as part of my training plan. Can anyone recommend a good 1/2 IM?

I was looking at doing 1/2IMUK on the 15/06/2008 is this too close to Switzerland?

Comments

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hey - Johna,

YEP, IMUK is wayyyyy too close!

It's not called the toughest 70.3 in the world for nothing you know!

Good luck.
  • JohnaJohna Posts: 27
    Hi Samutri,

Thought so! Thanks for the advice.
  • I did UK HiM in Wimbleball and then did my first IM in Austria three weeks later. I'm never going to break world records, so I did Wimbleball as a training event and treated it as such - finished in 6.45 and then did Austria in 13.30. In hindsight, probably wouldnt do this again because I then basically tapered/ticked over for three weeks which left me short in Austria.
    It looks as if I may do the Bala Middle Distance as a training event. I understand next year it will be run in May.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Hey! I'm doing Ironman swis next year too! - exciting stuff...

Why don't you try get on to the start list for New forest half ironman on 23rd (ish) september 07 - www.racenewforest.co.uk - its a really hard run but why not see what its all about with no pressure? ;o) ... I did in 6hr36 last year but after 5hr42 at a half IM (BIG COW) earlier this year I think I might beat 6hr... maybe, if i dont get a puncture..

Other wise my last race is going to be with the same poeple - Beaulieu Half im on 1st June 2008 - perfect time from the race! - racenewforest do great events without the comercial feel you get with a lot of other races... and you get a mug!!!!

Mugs are so much better than T-shirts and medals.... T-shirst are rags, medals are tacky,,,, I love my mug, you can give poeple drinks in it, drink from it yourself, take it to work, put it on the side board.... Heres to decent comemorative memorabilia!
    New Forest half ironman was already fully booked. Did the Vitruvian (yesterday) instead. Glad I did - really enjoyed it.

I may look at doing Beaulieu in 2008. I didn't even know they did a Middle Distance race. Is it new?

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    yep its new next year...

By the way if you haven't already, go and look at the IM Swiss trailor on u-tube.... made me go all tingly!

tip for everyone actually there is lots of tri vids on u-tube, some serious, some funny - check 'tri training rocky style' ;)