Home Chat General Chat
Options

Gear setup

just wondering what people have and how it works for them. Crank length, teeth numbers on chainring, teeth numbrs on casette?

I have 52,42,32 on front with 170mm crank, 12-25 on rear. It works for most things but is not ideal. Looking at getting a 13-23 so I don't always feel like I want a 14 teeth gear I don't have.

Anyone here changed crank length on their bike, what effect does this have?

Comments

• Options
    HI Staple,

On the crank length issue - I was riding along with a roady a few years back who looked at me and said I should definately change my crank length.

Took his advice and went from a 170 to a 175.

Probably all psychological but my ride times did improve(about a min over 40k).

I am sure this has to do with leg length/size/strength and many other variables, so am not reccommending - maybe go to a good bike shop with the bike - get them to have a look and see if 2.5mm would make a diff.

E.T
  • Options
    TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    i use a 39/54 with a 172.5 crank and 11-23 cassete but i dont think youl wanna go for that settup.lol.dont know about a 13-23 but i deffinently know you can get a 13-25 in ultegra normaly £34.99 but they are on wiggle for £31.49 if this helps.
  • Options
    FastWestieFastWestie Posts: 26
    Crank length should be roughly 10% of your height.

Having said that I have 170mm on the racing bike, 172.5 on the commuting bike and 175mm on the mountain bikes. Don't really notice much difference!

• Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Doesn't that 10% depend on how much of your height is leg length?
  • Options
    FastWestieFastWestie Posts: 26
    I think the 10% is only a guide

Traditionally MTBs are 175mm and road bikes 170-175mm

When I was younger I raced with 170mms because we were limited in gear size (86" as a junior)

I find them easier to spin :)