Home Chat General Chat

Triathlons on a budget

Am skint student looking to compete in as many cheap events as possible next season. Anyone got any tips for budget concious races? I am based in the south east but willing to travel, would prefer open water swim.

Comments

• Yeah its not a cheap sport, but if your doing quite a few events its worth joining BTA? as its saves quite a lot on entry fees. At least it has for me after joining Triathlon Scotland up here.
  • zoezoe Posts: 28
    If you want some cheap(er) races, look at your local club races rather than those organised by proffessional companies. London Triathlon and Windsor tri for example are really expensive for what they are.

Races run by the local clubs are much better priced (and usually have a much better goody bag!). Plus, any profit goes into improving that club and not into improving someones bank balance!

The Thames Turbo races are really well organised, and you can enter 3 for the cost of something like windsor.

Joining the BTA or similar won't save you much. £3-5 per race for day membership. Personally, I doubt whether its worth it, but others have a different opion.

Good luck for next season!
  • zoe wrote:

Joining the BTA or similar won't save you much. £3-5 per race for day membership. Personally, I doubt whether its worth it, but others have a different opion.

Aside from the race day savings, you also get some extra insurance with your BTA membership, which might be useful if you are especially skint. If you are a member of a tri club, I think you get an additional discount on your BTA membership, too.

You may also want to pick your races carefully, and go for ones that have less travel or ones where you won't require accommodation (I usually spend the night in a hotel near Windsor when I do it, as they have the check-in and racking on Saturday afternoon and then the race on Sunday morning, and I can't face doing the 2.5 hour journey each way 4 times for that race).

• [Joining the BTA or similar won't save you much. £3-5 per race for day membership. Personally, I doubt whether its worth it, but others have a different opinion]

[/quote]

?? must be a BTA STA thing as Ive saved between £4-£8 on races this season along with highly recommended insurance. Again it really depends on how many events you are thinking about.
  • Is the BTA only in the UK?