Home Chat General Chat

Strength training for triathletes

Hey guys

I'm just wondering what everyones views are regarding strength training for triathletes?

I personally am a BIG fan, and get massive benefits from appropriate conditioning, but as I see it, there isn't anything out there that's actually triathlon specific as opposed to just more general weight training.

Would love to know your thoughts as this is a big passion of mine and something that I feel triathletes just don;t get enough quality info on . . .

Andy ;-)

Comments

• Conehead will be along in a minute to give you a definative answer
  • Do weights - but watch your weight to power ratio - multi joint exercises - as "real world" as possible. I'm a fan too.
  • I do 20min Kettle bell sessions after short easy runs twice a week

the exercises focus on muscular endurance. I find the squat exercises help my cycling heaps.

Main bonus for me is, the Kettle bell cost around 40 squid and I do it my garden.

Kettle bell also makes a good door stop!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Especially if you put them in your tri suit pockets.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As if you did that you wouldn't be able to fit in the energy giving Soreen (By the way Britspin have you had successful counselling over the new Soreen?)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I try not to think about it...I am still at the denial stage of grieving.
  • ARobinettARobinett Posts: 35
    I do one weekly session at the gym which is weights and core all rolled up in a package to god awful trance backing music and a bronzed harridan screaming at you.

The only way I ever get anything done on the training front though is if there is someone shouting at me otherwise I'd stay on the sofa drinking tea and eating cake. I'm just not hardy enough to be a proper solo training triathelete and do pretty much all my sessions either in gym classes or with my tri club.
    Also at the gym all the weights are free and you dont have to pay to buy them and use them as door stops (mine would permenantly be a doorstop).

Too much muscle will make you slower, but you simply cant swim and bike fast enough with legs and arms like (like mine) pipe cleaners.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Conehead wrote:
    [quote="unstoppabletriathlete":2yfdg9lz]

Would love to know your thoughts as this is a big passion of mine and something that I feel triathletes just don;t get enough quality info on . . .

Andy ;-)
    You on holiday Andy? Must've gone on holiday or something, can be the only explanation for someone who feels so passionately about this subject they've not responded in 2 weeks.

I'm doing massive heavy bench press to aid my swimming, not sure if this is right - I suspect lots of other people are doing similar but not posting.[/quote:2yfdg9lz]

Nah I just do em to produce breast sized pecs which impress girls on the beach and poolside.

Chicks dig Beefcake.........<Cartman mode> "BEEFCAAAAAKE"!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM cake and BEEF!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM cake and BEEF!

No wait!

I feel a bit sick now! beef cake! Chicks do dig beef cake! But this triathlete digs cake and a good sunday Roast (BEEF)