Home Gear Triathlon Gear

Planet X Carbon N2A Ultegra

I'm going to upgrade my road bike next year and will have between £2,000 and £2,500 .to spend and this caught my eye.  I cant find many recent reviews on it and wondered if anyone had any thoughts/opinions good and bad on this bike.  Also if anyone has any other bikes they would recommend.  Thanks James

Comments

• Jamie220Jamie220 Posts: 168

Hi James, can you provide a link please? Can't see any details on the model that caught your eye...

• I've recently got the Felt AR4 which I'm delighted with. I needed to change to a slightly more forgiving cassette, but apart from that it's been a dream. You can pick the up in the sale at the moment so might be worth a look. The big difference is the lack of carbon 50mm wheels compared to the PX, but with money saved you could get some and have two sets of wheels for not much more than the price of the PX. Happy shopping!

• I've read some good things about the Felt AR4 - does it go up-hills ok?

• Haha, your asking the wrong person, I don't go up hills particularly well.

In my view and relative to my ability yes, though it needed a cassette change. I am holding around a 5% increase in speed up Cat 4 and 5 climbs compared to my previous bike which was an Alloy compact. The big returns are on the flat. It holds rolling speed well and gets up to speed quickly. Somewhere around a 15% improvement on flat speed compared to previous bike. Over a 20 or 40 km undulating route I've gone from averaging 27kph to 31kph.

• you could do a lot worse than what i've done - find a bike fitter and get sized up for a canyon. service is fine and bikes are special for the price. to go over budget a little for a bike you'll never need to upgrade go entry level CF SLX

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3295

or same geometry with marginally (but not noticeably) heavier frame and slightly sturdier/heavier wheels try the CF SL

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

my CF SLX with mechanical ultegra and ksyrium slr is out of this world. i got fitted on a jig with the geometry of that frame to be sure.

best of luck

john r

• I've recently sold an n2a but only so I could buy a tri bike. I loved it, stiff but comfortable, handle beautifully. I've owned lots of good bikes, De Rosa, cannondale etc but the px was one of my favourites

• I've been looking at canyon and read some very positive reviews. Torn between CF SLX 7.0 or the CF SL 9.0 Aero. SLX IS 300 more and saving would pay for a proper bike fit 

• The N2A is an awesome bike and set up for the price. You really cannot go wrong. Also PX are a brilliant company with great customer service and reputation. Dont get sucked into the big names brands just because thats what "everyone else is riding". How anyone cant tell to the nearest percent how much quicker a particular bike is, is beyond me. Given all the possbile variables of one route.

• The N2A is an awesome bike and set up for the price. You really cannot go wrong. Also PX are a brilliant company with great customer service and reputation. Dont get sucked into the big names brands just because thats what "everyone else is riding". How anyone can tell to the nearest percent how much quicker a particular bike is, is beyond me. Given all the possbile variables of one route.

• KingDong wrote (see)

The N2A is an awesome bike and set up for the price. You really cannot go wrong. Also PX are a brilliant company with great customer service and reputation. Dont get sucked into the big names brands just because thats what "everyone else is riding". How anyone cant tell to the nearest percent how much quicker a particular bike is, is beyond me. Given all the possbile variables of one route.

Massively agree with the fact that the bike quality and price is very good with Planet X, but I have to really disagree with the customer service.  Me and my collegue who ordered our bikes exactly the same time expeirenced very poor customer service in every angle, promising timescales as to when our bikes would be delivered only to be delivered 3 weeks late, noone taking responsibility and when paying that much money for a bike you expect great service.

Overall the bike was perfect and I love it but I have not gone back to planet X since.

• Someone has already said. Have a comprehensive and independent bike fit first. They'll tell you what bikes and size are best for you and the races you'll be doing. It really is priceless. Then go out looking for a bargain.