Home Chat General Chat

Carrying corks during run

Hi,

There was a female British triathlete who carried what appeared to be short sticks or corks in her hands during the run section of a triathlon. I can't remember who she was. She may even have been a junior(I can't remember). She would have been competing around 2000 to 2005. Perhaps she still competes. I lost touch with the sport about this time.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out who she was or even why she carried those. I'm assuming it was either to prevent/relieve arm tension in some way or to help with arm movement. Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• Jamie220Jamie220 Posts: 168

Hi Paul,

Great question! I'm sure the combined knowledge of our readers can work this out...

Anyone remember seeing this?

• Dan684Dan684 Posts: 28

I distinctly remember seeing it yes, partly because I do the exact same.  I run with two small light sticks (around 4-5" long).

I'm prety sure there was an article about here in 220 within the last year if anyone keeps back copies

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113

Emma Snowshill, carried small sticks to prevent arm cross over.

• risris Posts: 1,002

sweet mercy, jon... how the devil did you remember that?!

any other memory feats you want to own up to? 

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I look like an elephant, my memory is similar, there was also a triathlete that had the nickname ' Sticks', due to them carrying the aforesaid pieces of wood. They found that when the raced, despite having to carry the sticks, they produced faster run times.

I can never remember the important things in life though, Ris !!!