Home Chat General Chat

Shifters

Question. My road bike is set up with Shimano 105 group set, currently with a 9 speed cassette, just managed to get a good deal on a new set of wheels that are coming with a 10 speed cassette, Can I use the same shifters for both the 9 speed and 10 speed?

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

i don't think you will, the shifters control the amount of cable pull to move the mech, and the indexing (amount of cable pulled per 'click' of the shifter) will be to a 9-speed cassette. 

you can put a 9spd cassette on the new wheels (with shimano now offering tiagra at 10spd there some good deals on 9spd cassettes out there) and you should then be able swap wheels easily enough.

and if you aren't going to use the 10spd cassette in the future then you might be able to sell it on to cover the 9spd one. 

• Thanks to whoever commented, but I think I either accidentally removed your posts or they have disappeared some where. I can't see them whatever happened.

• risris Posts: 1,002

hmm. still there for me! but then i wrote it...

if it helps then i've copied it below:

i don't think you will, the shifters control the amount of cable pull to move the mech, and the indexing (amount of cable pulled per 'click' of the shifter) will be to a 9-speed cassette. 

you can put a 9spd cassette on the new wheels (with shimano now offering tiagra at 10spd there some good deals on 9spd cassettes out there) and you should then be able swap wheels easily enough.

and if you aren't going to use the 10spd cassette in the future then you might be able to sell it on to cover the 9spd one.