Home Training for a Triathlon

Critique my training schedule?

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this site, and to triathlon in general (although I have been cycling/running for a few years at school). 

My first triathlon (sprint distance) will hopefully be in December, and I hope to do another in April/May/June. I've heard that the ITU open age group triathlons are really well organised - do you think that these would be okay for beginners? How many do you think I could do in a year?

This is my training schedule - please make any comments/suggestions you can think of! 

Monday:

6.00 - 6.50AM 5k road run

8.00 - 8.45AM back workout (4 sets, 10 reps of deadlift, rows and lat pulldowns). 

8.50 - 9.00AM calves workout (4 sets, 12 reps of weighted calf raises). 

9.30 - 10.30AM Les Mills Body Pump

10.40 - 11.10AM stretching session + cool down

Tuesday:

8.00 - 8.45AM swimming session in gym pool

9.30 - 10.30AM aerobics step class

10.40 - 11.25AM leg workout (4 sets, 10 reps of squats, lunges, hamstring curls and stiff legged deadlifts).

11.30 - 11.50AM core workout (exercises varied between each session)

11.55 - 12.25AM stretching session + cool down

Wednesday

7.30 - 8.15AM swimming session in gym pool

8.35 - 9.10AM shoulder workout (4 sets, 10 reps of upright rows, clean + press, raised push ups and rotator raises). 

9.30 - 10.30AM Les Mills Body Pump

10.35 - 11.20AM aerobics class (with stretching session)

11.30 - 11.40AM calves workout (as Monday) 

Thursday

6.45 - 7.30AM Group Cycle class (specifically for those training for cycling events)

8.00 - 8.45AM chest workout (4 sets, 10 reps of bench press, incline press, decline press and chest press). 

8.50 - 9.10AM core workout 

9.15 - 9.45AM stretching session + cool down

Friday 

6.00 - 6.45AM running session (trying to think what kind of run to do here - maybe a 10k recovery run?)

8.30 - 9.10AM biceps workout (4 sets, 10 reps of curls, etc.)

9.45 - 11AM yoga

Saturday

9.30 - 10.15AM Group Cycle class

10.45 - 11.30AM Group Cycle class

11.30 - 12.30PM Les Mills Body Pump

12.40 - 1.10PM stretching session + cool down

Sunday

5.30 - 8.30AM long cycle ride (ranging from 20 - 40K) 

9.00 - 9.45AM tricep workout (4 sets, 10 reps of dips, tricep extensions, narrow grip bench press) 

10.00 - 11.00AM yoga

11.05 - 11.25AM core workout

What do you think? Will this help me to compete competitively?

Also - any suggestions as to what to do in the swimming and running sessions, and the long cycle? Thanks!

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425

You need to include a reality check & a coach in your planning

HarryD

• risris Posts: 1,002

sprint in december! is that an indoor or are you somewhere nice and warm?

reading between the lines of your schedule (ie, taking out the strength and conditioning/gym/les mills sessions) you have:

2no. runs (1x5k, maybe on 10k)

2no. swims (consecutive days) - are these coached, what is your technique like? what is the pool like (25m?10m?)

1no. long bike (3no. if you count the group session, but i don't know if that is in or outdoors).

- you have more bodypump than swim sessions!

you've got a lot of gym work (s&c), which some people swear by, but are you doing the sessions with a particular str and cond in mind (muscles for swimming, or cycling)? i think the yoga is a great addition to the week. notice you don't have a recovery/rest day in there - when is your body going to have some time for adaptation?

it's not say that everything you do should have a purpose or be 'tri-related', but if you have some particular goal then that might be worth using to organise what you are doing.

if you are doing a tri or two to see if you like them (and for the challenge) then what you are doing will more than likely get you round. longer term, and if you have specific goals, then harry is right - you'll need a coach or someone to organise/get some focus out of that lot.

does make me wish i had 5h a morning to train though - look what you can fit in! 

• SK1PPERSK1PPER Posts: 3

Rest Day?

• Triathlons are endurance events, you might want to reconsider if you want to be big and bulky or a triathlete.

Looking at your training schedule you want to do both. 

Sorry it is a harsh reality if you do any cardio work with a body building regime the mass you gain is microscopic.I eat 4k calories a day and that is just being a Triathlete any less and I become dangerously underweight Colds/ injuries etc.

secondly you need rest days, let your body recover 

I am not saying avoid the weights but your goal is unrealistic in this sport. You use all muscle groups often in explosive and tiring circumstances. Bodybuilding and the way they train will NOT help. Their are some good training guides on here, after a while tailor them for your needs, especially if you eat as a triathlete and not a bodybuilder