Home Training for a Triathlon

How long does it take to train for an Ironman?

This has been my first triathlon season and I've completed 1 sprint tri (pool) and 2 super sprint tri (open water) with a final sprint tri (pool) of the season coming up next weekend. Would it be too much of a jump to move straight up to ironman distance next year?

I have a running background, completing London marathon earlier this year and I'm no stranger to long bike rides with 105 miles being the longest I've cycled this year. My swimming lets me down a bit but I've managed to swim 1000m open water recently but that's the furthest I've ever gone. 

Originally I'd planned to continue progressing and next year complete more sprints but building up to standard distance with a view to completing a half-ironman and then a full ironman in 2016. 

I realise this is a very long timescale and I was just wondering if it maybe too long. Would I be able to train for a full ironman next year? I was thinking Outlaw in July which gives me 10 months. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• I completed Ironman UK this summer after only doing one Olympic triathlon the previous summer. I don't think it matters about what triathlons you've done, it is much more important that you put in plenty of training. If you can commit to the hours, days, weeks, and months then go for it. I absolutely loved it - amazing achievement that I'll remember forever.