Home Training for a Triathlon

Nutrition & Warm Up?

I'm doing my first super sprint tri in a couple of weeks.  I'm not sure what I should eat and drink before the race to give me the most energy and how long before the race start I should have it.  I'm also not sure about what sort of warm up I should do beforehand.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Eleanor Simpson

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002

for a sprint event you should be ok with a normal sized 'proper' breakfast, eaten early enough that you don't have it sat in your stomach to be disturbed (hour or two i would think, but people can vary. you'll be racing for 1h-90mins probably, so don't try to fuel up too much. 

by proper breaky i mean something with a bit of slow release energy, so probably not a big bown of coco-pops and a can of coke. some people like porridge/banana type stuff. 

i'll be honest warm ups aren't something i'm good at - isn't that the swim bit? dry-side warmup for the swim (arm swinging, legs, some light on the spot jogging are what my swim coach recommends), if you are worried about the other disciplines then consider a gentle run, but don't go too long. if you are intent on doing some hard efforts to wake the body up then keep them very short (10s or so? someone with genuine knowledge might be able to give better advice). 

• Hi Eleanor, 

Don't worry about the race, I think everyone in the sport beat themselves up on their first. I slept for 3 hours in the previous 24hrs prior, my time was not too bad, but I was like a zombie. 

Race food a healthy breakfast (what you normally eat.) 

keep yourself hydrated with water.

(you need to train with doing this.) Pre race snack Banana or similar. and a SIP or 2 of water. (you should have enough fluids in you for this and sprint distance.)You should know how much you physically need of water. I use it as mouthwash on anything under 4 hrs some people drink a liter in that time. If you train and decide not to take water in the this race, make sur you have good recovery drinks after including high potassium foods.

with the warm up (you need to train high intensity warmups) I would do that of what ris has said. gentle short jog/bike shoulder specific exercises. Then stretch well.

Hope you enjoy it.