Home Training for a Triathlon

Shifts and Being an Old Git!

Hi!  I am in a bit of tiz as i am in the process of training for my first triathlon and have become completely lost in what i should and should not be doing!

Basically i work shifts consisting of 4 long days, days off, 4 long nights and then 3 days and nights with one day off between!  I am also 46.

Everything i read said that i should be training each discipline twice a week, training in the gym twice a week and doing yoga twice a week!  I thought there were only 7 days in a week, but there we go.

I actually paid a coach look over my self written program and assess how i fit it in with my lifestyle, but they never seemed to address the shifts issue whatsoever, so i came away wondering if the shifts actually make any difference or not. 

Also, I wrote and followed my programme but found that i was starting to feel heavy, tired and never seemed to recover from my workouts.

My fix was to bin the programme and just train 1 day on 1 day off but using brick sessions and hard sessions followed by a rest day.

The thing is, i am basically flying blind as i'm not sure whether this is right or not.  I have been mountain biking and road biking for 10 years or so and i would say i am reasonably fit so i dont think its down to being a total newbie etc.

Is there a magic answer out there, or do i just go by how i feel?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Hi Nick,

I can give you some advice and help with this, drop me an email on DAcoaching@icloud.com and we'll go from there  

Cheers

Angus

• Sorted...If anyone else is in the same predicament as i was...get in touch with these guys!!  Best thing i ever did....and no....i dont work for them!!