Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Move to the middle – Ironman 70.3 training plan

what's meaning "200's,400's,600's" swim session in Free Ironman 70.3 training plans file?

Comments

• Jack SextyJack Sexty Posts: 6
    Hi Timmy,

If you refer to the first table, the key swimming session suggests starting with sets of 200 metres per rep (so you would do 6x200 metres) - as you progress through the training plan you do longer reps (4x300 metres, 3x400 metres and so on) until you are doing 2 600 metre reps by week 10.

In summary, where it says '200's', your suggested swim set would be a warm up, 400 metres hard then 6x200 metres at slightly slower than your CSS pace (refer to jargon buster to define this). By week 10 (where it says '600's') you would warm up, do 400 metres hard then 2x600 metres at slightly slower than your CSS.

Thanks for your query, hope this helps!

Jack
  • Thanks for the plan. Downloaded, printed and laminated! Just a few things to tease out, as every time I figured I had all the areas sussed out, I'd hit another snag. In fact, I reckoned I must have missed a page! Think I have the main core drills sorted (marked with **), but the second set of exercises in each discipline are not so clear. So, for swimming, what does it mean by 'long pull set', 'drills/technique', 'strength/end', etc. On the bike, what would you suggest for 'cadence drills', and on the run, are there any suggested times or distances for 'hills/technique', 'strides' or 2 x easy runs, for example? Should we be guided by our own fitness levels on this? I suspect quite a few people using this plan will be like me, and attempting their first Half, so sometimes it is nice to have a little more clarity. To that end, I am still teasing out on what days to all the specific training. It is a six-day programme, but technically if you are doing 2 bike sessions, and there is a suggested recovery ride after one of the bikes, then you could easily find you are doing 7 days. Plus some gym work. Provisionally, I am working on: Mon - long bike, Tue - gym/swim, Wed - speed run, Thu - rest, Fri - gym/swim, Sat - speed work bike, Sun - long run.

Looking forward to the big day - this is Day 3 of the plan!