Home Chat General Chat

Hi (open water swimming info)

Hi all

Firstly hello everyone

Looking for some information on open water swimming?
I live in Scotland just outside Glasgow.
Never tried it but fancy giving it a go.
Thinking of trying 2k swim at Strathclyde park in September.
Been training with my wife since last October as she had enter her first Triathlon without being able to Swim!
She nailed it .
We are swimming about 4-5 times a week from 750m to 1500m and a little longer sometimes.

Thanks
ED

Comments

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Hi

I stay in Glasgow, but don't know any, although I think Glasgow Tri club do some open water sessions up at Loch Lomond.

If you do find anything let me know though, I could do with more OW training!
  • Jack2211Jack2211 Posts: 2
    You need to check out fusion triathlon club, they do the sessions at loch lomond in the summer
    Here is there training schedules and it is frequently updated. In addition to this they update more specifically on their forum. Here is some info I got off the forum today:
    The Loch at Strathclyde Park is now open for swimming (wetsuits mandatory) on a Monday and Friday between 6pm and 8pm. It's a marked course (500m I think) with a safety boat. It costs £4 and you can use the changing facilities in the leisure centre. They regularly closed last year due to water temperature and algae so best to phone on the day to make sure it is on - 01698 402100.

Paul

AND

Troops,

There appears to be demand for open water swimming this friday (13th May).

HOWEVER LOCH LOMOND CURRENTLY HAS AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH BLUE GREEN ALGAE SO SWIMMING IS NOT ALLOWED!!

So for this friday I'm happy to take a session based at Strathclyde Country Park by motherwell / hamilton:

www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6760

Swimming is permitted friday 6pm-8pm if you register at the sports centre for the price of £4.00. There is a form required to be filled out so please ensure you arrive on time and register at the water sports centre before signing in for my session as it may take a while for a large group to be processed. A water safety boat will be present on the Loch and a marked course for swimming / training drills.

I'll run a session from 6:50pm - In the water at 7pm for a 45min-1 hr session – You must be able to swim 400m non stop freestyle as a minimum. The session Cost is as follows for this week only - fusion tri club members and fusion-coaching clients £2.00 others £3.00

You'll need swimming kit including goggles, a wetsuit (mandatory) and a brightly coloured swim hat (not dark green, blue etc.)

Hope to see you there

John D

I am new to triathlon myself and participating in the Strathclyde Park Tri on 22/04/11. I'll def be at the session on friday...maybe see you there! The folk from fusion are really nice and welcoming, the guy running the open water session also coaches my daughter and is very good.
  • Jack2211Jack2211 Posts: 2
    sorry, forgot the links
    training schedules https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?s ... ssionid=OK

swimming forum: http://www.fusiontriathlonclub.co.uk/fu ... 3-swimming

also if you train with them at their pool sessions you can wear your wetsuit, double check this info...someone just told me that