Home Chat General Chat

help needed - wheels

with wimbleball only 2.5 weeks away I took my focus tt bike in for a service - low and behold the mechanic told me that my rear wheel is basically shot and I should not ride the bike which puts me in somewhat of a pickle and I require some advice

the rims are full carbon

firstly - if I swap the rear wheel do I need to swap the front - I suspect not (and yes probably a stupid question)
secondly - can anyone recommend some good value carbon rim replacements - these wheels are focus and I cannot get them quickly enough to go like for like

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Planet x

Next question

PS - what is wrong with your rear wheel ?
  • scumbagscumbag Posts: 8
    cannot exactly remember the term, but the weave is basically falling apart and bulging
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Get the wheel to the carbon doctor and get it repaired. Then punt it..

Go to the time trialling forum there's loads of info on there about carbon repair people.

One guy has posted a pic about his disc and to me it looks knackered but seemingly it can be repaired.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    There's no reason to switch the front wheel if you're swapping out the rear. The only things to beware of are that you get the correct brake pads for the wheel (carbon and alu braking surfaces require different pads) and that the tyre you fit will fit your frame.

A second vote from me for Planet X.