Home Chat General Chat

Talkback: Good carbohydrate nutrition: keep your intake in control

To be clear, does this suggest ADDING 1g of carb for every 4cals burned to normal daily intake, or for this to represent one's TOTAL daily carb intake?

Comments

• I'm struggling with the maths,

if you do a long ride at race pace and your HRM say you've torched 1600cals, thats 400g of carbs....  

brown rice has 23g of carbs/100g mass. 

you'd need to eat and extra 1.7kg of brown rice that day!!!!

if you do a quick run and your HRM say you've burnt 400cals, thats 100g of carbs....  

WH pasta has 46.9g of carbs/100g mass. 

you'd need to eat an additional 213g(uncoooked - more when cooked) of WH pasta just for that short run? 

that seems a lot - maybe that's where I'm going wrong though. 

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Greg, my reading is 1g per 4 Calories burned is additional to your basal metabolic requirement rather than your average daily intake

Rob, I'm perplexed also. The (male) body can store up to around 500g of carbs as glycogen of which 400g would be stored in muscles. As the brain is fuelled by glycogen only and fat cannot be burned without some carbohydrate present you cannot use up all those 500g. Your body simply won't let you. Also glycogen stored in muscles that are not made to work don't give it up to those that do.

As a pure guestimate you may deplete by 300g (anyone have a better figure) in training. So my recent bike ride of 100km +1900m ascent burned 2600Calories or 650g of glycogen. Don't think so. Don't think I'm going to eat 1.4kg of dry weight pasta after such a ride. I reality I was burning quite a lot of fat which is one of the training objectives of long rides.

Maybe the 1g for every 4Calories is the modern 220 minus your age
  • Great posting about the nutrition. I loved your discussion. Actually, all of the people should be eat best food for build-up good health. Am i right? http://www.zhounutrition.net/blog/
  • Hello, this last 12 months I have been experimenting with seriously cutting my carb intake. I read quite a lot about this before attempting it and was a little bit sceptical - everyone knows triathletes need carbs right? Anyhow by 'adapting' my body to burn fat I found I was able to eat less than 100g of carbs most days and still train - last week 20 hours. Each of us (even the really lean ones) has a large useful store of body fat which can can provide energy in addition to glycogen. I found that by eating more veg, natural healthy fat and moderate protein several things happened: I can ride for hours without gels, I never get 'hangry', my stubborn roll of middle age belly fat disappeared but my weight is very stable. To get technical insulin can prevent your body releasing leptin (the hormone which burns fat) so if you eat too many carbs you could be inhibiting your ability to use more naturally available fuel... food for thought maybe?