Home Chat General Chat

ironman after marathon.

i just did the cork city marathon. 4 hours in the heat,i know i can do 345 but i have the ironman austria in 31 days. so i just jogged it realy, nice and handy.

my question is, should i do another big run by my ironman, or will i get away witn my 6 mile hill run, that i brick onto my bikes?

or should i go out and bang out a 15 miler or somrthing....

i really dont know.

Comments

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    ironman after marathon.

Sigh. This is why I love triathlon. We're all stark raving mad.

blurredgirl
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Blurredgirl wrote:
    ironman after marathon.

Sigh. This is why I love triathlon. We're all stark raving mad.

blurredgirl

My running coach is doing IM Bolton. He done a couple before, his first was Lanzarote. He doesn't like swimming. Or cycling. He says he really enjoys the marathon at the end of the IM, it's his reward for not drowning and not falling off the bike.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Canehead right... I think you were a bit risky/it was a mistake to do a marathon so close to the race as it is... start your taper - concentrate on getting to the run section.
  • so as i taper, should i do like 4 runs?

a 15, a 10 , and one or two 5's?

how should you taper from a marathon to an im in a month?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I agree start your taper now, perhaps concentrate on swim and bike , let the running legs recover
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    If you're doing IMUK when should you start the taper then end of June?

• thanks for your advice conehead.

i tried ironman france last year, but it was a royal fuck up. i paniced in the water and ended up breastroking the whole thing in 150 . i then only made the bike cutoff with 10 minutes to spare. then i caved in half way through the run when i realised i didint have the time to finish.

big mental issues. why o why did i take it easy on the first half of the run? it was like i was on a trip of some kind jogging around taking it all in, then i looked at the clock at the halfway stage of the run, and saw that i had only 1 hour left.

i caved.

nice is a 16h race btw.

this year, i have done the same bike mileage that saw me through the hills in nice. but with a difference.at the start of the year, i filled up my water bottles with coins and water. i also strapped 2 ankle weights to the cross bar, adding a total of 8kg to the bike.

i have done all my training on hills with this weight. i have gotten used to it, and still have not taken it off.

i have also got some light weight wheels. ksyruim elite jobbies. i have STILL to put them on.

the total weight saving on the bike will be 10 kg, when i take all the weight off and put on the new wheels.i dont even notice the weight any more and can do like 80k of hills no problem.

and its austria i am doing , which has only half the climbing that france had.plus an extra hour.

so now i have a good run base, and am hoping for another gain from the bike weight swicth over.

did i do right or am i mad?
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    You're either crazy, or an inspiration, Jury's out on that one. Let us know how it goes and I'll let you know the verdict!
  • i should also ad that i managed to nail the bi lateral breathing and now go like a torpedo in the wet suit, so no breastroke for me,ever again.