Home Training for a Triathlon

can you over do the intervals?

Hi all,

Are there any dos or don'ts when it comes to hard training days, intervals and rest days? I've got into a bit of a winter routine at the moment with separate disciplined clubs and sessions so I tend to do Yoga mon, Tri club run intervals or Circuits on tues, Tri club swim session wed, cycle club hills and sprints on thurs, hard Masters swim fri, my own run sat and bike club Social ride sun. (If I'm tired or have other commitments I don't do all the sessions but on average do 6 days a week of some sorts of training). 

I'm wondering if I am clumping too many hard sessions together. I do like to have a club session to go to as they are more structured than me having to come up with a plan and then follow it, but I don't want to put lots of effort in for my performance and improvement to deteriorate or suffer. What would be the best thing to do?

Thanks 

Suz

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Suz, there are many does & don'ts but they come with so many caveats which mean you need to take your own circumstances into account.

Research has clearly shown that elite athletes (i.e those doing endurance sports) train about 80% endurance and 20% high intensity. However, most of these athletes don't hold down a full time job whereas age groupers do. One thing of benefit to all is either having a day off (novice) or an easy day once per week and making one in four weeks easier to allow your body to recover. Don't know your age but over 45 it may be worth having five easy days after 16 full ones. Also when you get over 45 you should be doing more intense workouts anyway.

Are you doing too many hard sessions? If you can sustain this training then the answer is probably no. If you are run down, liable to colds and injuries the answer is probably yes. If you can sustain the training your performances should improve. These can be measured by time trials at the end of your recover week; a Parkrun, 400m swim and a 10km bike. Make the routes the same. If you improve over the winter months good, if you stagnate or slow bad.

If it works for you as a winter programme thats brilliant. If you are targeting a big race then you probably need to have a word with a tri coach to focus your training once winter draws to a close.

Cheers, HarryD