Home Chat General Chat

Ketone Ester Study at Leeds Beckett

Hi everyone,

I am recruiting participants in the Leeds/Yorkshire area for a laboratory-based study investigating the effects of a novel ketone ester supplement on running performance after cycling. This study may be of interest to triathletes/duathletes looking to improve their performance and/or with an interest in sports science, nutrition, and exercise physiology.

Ketone esters are a new type of supplement that have shown promising results, in terms of performance improvement, in scientific studies to date. However, there is only a very small number of studies that have been published in peer-review scientific journals. We are hoping to add to the evidence-base around ketone esters and endurance performance through our study.

Participants will receive a free VO2max test and nutritional analysis.

Eligibility criteria for the study is as follows:

• Male
  • Aged 18-45
  • Diet adheres to sports nutrition guidelines (assessed through food diary)
  • No food alllergies
  • No illnesses or health conditions
  • Minimum of 2 years training experience
  • Achieve a VO2max of 60 or higher on a cycling VO2max test (assessed on first laboratory visit)

As a rough guide, I would expect someone with a cycling VO2max of 60 to complete the bike leg of an olympic distance triathlon or duathlon (40km) in around 65 minutes or quicker and then the 10km run in around 40 minutes or quicker. I do not expect people to know what their VO2max is, this will be assessed on the first visit to the lab.

Participants will be asked to attend the lab at Leeds Beckett University, Headingley Campus on 3 separate occasions:

• Health screening, VO2max test, familiarisation
  • Experimental trial 1
  • Experimental trial 2

Each visit will be separated by 1 week.

During the experimental trials, participants will complete a bike and run protocol that is designed to replicate the demands of racing over the Olympic distance (bike and run sections only). This will involve 60 minutes cycling at a constant power output that corresponds to 80% VO2max, followed by a 10km running time trial on the treadmill. Blood samples and other physiological measures will be taken during the protocol.

If you are interested in the study or would like further information, please contact myself at m.chadwick7557@student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk

Thanks for reading,

Michael Chadwick