Advice for a runner wanting to do triathlon
First post here, newbie triathlete (i've done 1 sprint, and 1 duathlon).
I'm primarily a running (circa 17 min 5k, 36 10k), but want to do more triathlon. My issue is is that I only know how to structure running training, and don't know where cycling/swimming fits in (more in terms of effort levels than anything else).
Currently I run 4 times a week:
- Tues - longer intervals (5x1 mile) or hill reps for example).
- Thurs - slightly shorter intervals (8x800m for example).
- Friday - Easy 5 mile recovery
- Sun - Long run (10m - 14m (I have some half marathon races in the winter).
Cycling outdoor whilst it's still warmish
- Monday 25 mile - easy
- Wed 25 mile - easy
- Sat 35 mile - easy
- Tues - group session including drills
- Thurs - solo technique work (easy)
Here is my issue: due to the fact I do 2 hard runs and a long run, I am not doing any quality (intervals) on the bike, as I feel that this is part of my recovery. Am I wrong in this? I could potentially do some fast bursts on the bike, intervals etc. but does this fit in with the rest of the training? Should I be doing an additional hard swim? Generally I follow the principle that training should be at an easy pace, EXCEPT when doing the quality stuff (tempo, intervals, hills etc.).
Any tips? Thanks in advance.
PS - I have 2 half marathons lined up (first in 2 weeks) and will be doing the XC club races throughout the winter.