Home Chat General Chat

Compression socks = revelation

2»

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    You're from Leeds right?

Are you doing the Abbey Dash?

I'm in York.
  • I was in leeds, and would have been doing the abbey dash as I ran a bit for abbey runners. But I moved back to Leicester a couple of weeks ago, so I dont think I can make it up there.
  • Don't want to take custom away from Wiggle, as they're great. But just noticed www.newitts.com has Nike compression socks for £8.49 delivered. If only they had the right size for my size 12 clown's feet! Only medium and large in stock.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Sorry got a but off topic but seriously anyone using compression shorts for quads etc.

Any good and what make?
  • I had a pair of skins, but they are quite simply pathetic, skins = most over rated sports company. Got some 2XU and couldn't be happier.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have posted before the 2xu compression tights are excellent - they speed up recovery do yourself a favour go out and buy a pair
  • bumping all this to ask, are they any good for tired bike or brick legs?

is it ok to wear them whild training? or do you put them afterwards?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    On the basis of this thread, and some others around the time, I invested in some 1000 mile comp. socks, and some 2XU compression tights.

It is hard to be objective but my conclusions are:

Comp socks are now indispensable. I got a lot of soreness, cramps, possibly tearing in the calves. They've resolved that - more so than changing the running shoes. I also feel that they knock about 30 seconds off a 5K for me (5K in about 20 minutes - so that is quite a percentage difference). I wear them for any road running - training, racing etc. My only problem is how to integrate them into a tri/duathlon. They would probably take too long to put on, not sure about swimming/cycling in them!

My second problem is DOMS, which I suffer from terribly. I'm not sure if I am prone to it, or just good at pushing myself too hard. The 2XU for an attempt to improve this. Less clear of the benefits here - i.e. not a real noticeable difference with the comp socks. I tend to put the 2XU on after I've finished, then wear them all the time for the next day or so (one of the greatest side benefits is how they keep your legs warm when wearing under your suit trousers when standing on a platform waiting for a train on a cold winters morning). I certainly feel better... and walking downstairs becomes much more comfortable - but the DOMS is still there. If I take them off, then I am still pretty uncomfortable. I wore them in my last running race - mainly to try to held my knee together - and I don't think I was as stiff afterwards - but because of the knee I don't think I ran as hard as I normally would have done. If it wasn't for the fact they are too hot for racing in, I would wear them all the time. Use them in the gym a lot as the are very comfortable when it comes to doing a lot of stretches.

My verdict:

Comp socks: 11/10.

Comp tights: 8/10.

• thanks for all the info.

i was in my tri shop, and the guy told me to save my money and get the nike compression socks, instead of the skins,which were twice the price!!

i put them on at home for a an hour or so, and straight away i could feelthem working.im heavy so my legs take quite a pounding, i need every bit of help.

i am not going to wear them after training, though. just during.

thanks again. good thread.

• jacjac Posts: 452
    I've got 2xu tights and 1000 mile socks.

I wear the socks during and after runs and they do make a difference..if I push it on a run i still get tight calves but they recover quicker with the socks.

The tights have definitely helped on the bike - my quads still burn but they recover so much better than before (when I just wore shorts or bikesters).

I also religiously use a foam roller on my quads and IT band and tennis ball on my calves and soles of my feet, which I find helps speed recovery too.

You can also use the above to warm the muscles prior to a workout.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Halfanironman...wearing afterwards has more or at least equal benefit for tired legs, but oddly I don't wear during, but always after...its the long sock thing.
  • bella looks hot in hers..
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Britspin & Bella..not the same thing at all.

although I don't think we have ever been seen in the same room at the same time....
  • so after a rest up of 5 days due to leg issues, i hit the road last night with my buddy for a 10 miler on the flat.this was the first time i have used the compression socks, and they felt good.if anything, i found myself using a longer stride.{anyone experience this?} and did the 10 miles in 1h 20 m.

a small bit sore today in my upper hamstrings, but i suppose thats down to running with a different stride length for 10 miles. either that, ir the socks keep every thing below the knee "so together" that it transmits the impact shockwaves to the tissue above the knee.

not sure.

just must get used to them i suppose.

either way, for any road runs or long bikes, i will now be wearing them.