Home Chat General Chat
Options

Swimming

2»

Comments

• Options
    And then there are the ones who think they are quick because they make such a lot of splashing, but you can overtake them swimming breastroke. Sigh. Personal endless pool, anyone?
  • Options
    BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Some of this is, as mentioned, down to the pool staff not marshalling the lanes well or correctly. The lifeguards first duty is the prevent accidents, this would be best achieved by ensuring that no dangerous passing manouvres are made, which means asking some one in the 'wrong' lane to move over to a more suitable lane, the problem is most lifeguards are not willing to do this for whatever reason, inexperience, lack of confidence training etc...not sure of the solution either...especially in the case of 'Wilkie'.
  • Options
    for stretching I usually start slowly for a few lengths before putting the effort in, sometimes if I have a sore shoulder I'll get out again and do a minute of arm swinging. I probably look a bit of a tit but I don't really care. I also will stretch both thighs and calfs if they are feeling tight. (i've had a few leg injuries this year and don't need to encourage any more).

I'm fortunate in that the pool I go to most people in the lanes are regulars, and the pecking order is pretty much established. A few taps along a length and you can either get past at the end, or the guy in front realizes he's slacking and puts effort back in. We are also fortunate that the lanes are pretty wide, and you can get four abreast in FC so there is room to pass in the length. Most of us know who we can pass and who we have to tap. If it's really busy or there are too many slow people in the lane, most will stop the fast sets and do something else. Personally if it's busy i move out the lane and do TI floaty drills 9 and 10. (zipperskate and zipperswitch) I can drill these incredibly slowly if I have to.

Basically we have all paid a similar fee, and all have a right to be there. fit in where best you can, and if you have a problem with someone talk to them or get the staff to help. Don't just baulk them the way they baulk you, you'll just generate loads more ill felling.
  • Options
    BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Where do you swim? Is it worth asking the staff to have a quiet word with him?

I swim/train/drink at the Hampshire Tennis and Health Club. There are no poolside staff. We even have to put the Slow/Fast Lane signs out ourselves at the appropriate times, and put the lane dividers out, too, for our coached session.

There are about 2 staff, both 14 years old, who generally speaking do nothing to assist in any way. Still, what do you expect for £70 a month?

And then there are the ones who think they are quick because they make such a lot of splashing

My daughter laughs at people like this (she is 10). She always points them out to me, and says "You splashing like a FOOL!" in a Mr. T voice. Then she chases them down and overtakes them. [:D]

Personal endless pool, anyone?

Yeah, I know exactly what would happen. I'd get down to my pool house at 6am on the first morning to try it out, and old deaf & stupid 'Wilkie' would be in there already, taking up the whole of my pool and ignoring my efforts to get rid of him. Aaaargh!

Wasn't this a thread about stretching? I do 200-400m of sloooow swimming, concentrating on keeping my stroke as long as possible (13 strokes in a 25m pool, currently). Maybe do some shoulder moves in the water, to use the water resistance. That's it, really.

There's a bit more of an issue with warming up before a race, as you often don't get access to the water. I banged on about this in a thread somewhere else, I'll dig the link out.
  • Options
    JulesJules Posts: 987
    Bopomofo wrote:
    Where do you swim? Is it worth asking the staff to have a quiet word with him?

I swim/train/drink at the Hampshire Tennis and Health Club. There are no poolside staff. We even have to put the Slow/Fast Lane signs out ourselves at the appropriate times, and put the lane dividers out, too, for our coached session.

No witneses then Bopo [;)]
  • Options
    BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    No witneses then Bopo [;)]

Good point. I just need to go back and edit a few posts in this thread, then nobody would be any wiser.

...here's the question about pre-swim warmup without actually being in the water: http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=14622
  • Options
    new here .... and new to triathlons have entered blenhiem ,,,, i am aminly a swimmer and mountain biker,,

i swim every weekday morning at the sports center at the the skool i work in,, we have three 5 lanes in the early morning session,,,but used to swim in the same size pool with three lanes which was great as the lane was wide enough to swim down the middle to overtake the slower people a bit like the old suicide lanes we used to have on our roads,

we do have a couple of regulars who will not let you past , even though i am faster than they are so i just stop before the end of the length at turn around to get in front of them then have fun trying to catch them up again ..

we also have a couple of british swim team members who have their own lane once or twice a week which just shows me how slow i realy am , their drill pace is my race pace

Ade
  • Options
    TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    I agree, its no real hardship for slower swimmers to pause a couple seconds at the end of a length, I'd rather do that than be rushed at a faster unsustainable pace.

while people seam to be ranting, my personal hate, more than lane hogers. People who don't shower before getting in the pool AHHHHHHHHHHHH

cheers