Home Chat General Chat

Simple one

GGGG Posts: 82
Want to use my Garmin 305 in events.

Can I wear the heart rate strap in the pool?

GG

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    you should be able to wear the strap yes, but the 305 will die.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    what about my crappy forerunner 50 and strap, will that die?
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Read your instructions lol

from what I understand the strap is fine underwater - dependant on your HRM (Read your instructions) if its waterproof it will be fine but it won't read your HR whilst swimming - again dependant on how your HRM works it may stop the time if it cant read the HR and therefore will have to be restarted again after you have exited the swim.

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I use an HRM for training, but never bother in a race. I'm far too busy not getting panicked in the swim, settling down on the bike and trying not to die on the run. I use an ordinary cheap sports watch for racing, just out of curiosity, but personally I think there's no window for using an HRM in a race....there was a thread on this a little while ago I think?

blurredgirl
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    gary, i've worn my 50 for every race last year and i've changed the battery myself on both the watch and the strap, absolutely no problems! it wont pick up HR during the swim, but hit the lap button as you get out the water and it will start picking up HR. if you've got the cadence bit fotr the bike, hit lap again as you start pedalling and it will then start picking up the readings from that too
  • GGGG Posts: 82
    Good stuff,

Thanks for your relpies. I did read the instructions and they were decidely vague when it came to the HR strap although the watch "can withstand immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 mins" [;)]

(It also states that the watch is not for swimming which I feel I should mention incase there are any short armed lunatics reading this)

I didnt want to bugger the strap because im sure I read(in the instructions) that each HR strap is individually coded for the watch that accompnies it.

Thanks for your repply to blueredgirl. It was only a year ago I was preaching device free "organic" training and racing [:)] ... but this was before I tried a HR monitor.

Im affraid I would have to disagree with you on the use of heart rate monitors in racing. Being a relative newbie to cycling (the reason I want to wear the watch) a 10mTT eyeballs out normally means me popping on a long hill becuase I have gone anerobic too long. Obviously this is also a training and breathing issue but with the use of HRM I can monitor and avoid it.

More generally I think a HRM is essential for effective racing, sorry to disagree so stongly [:)]

GG