Home Chat General Chat

Hello & Have I Bitten off more than I can chew?

Hi, new to the forum and triathlon, also as the title suggests I fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I started running in December 2020 after about a year of Zwifting to try and lose some timber. I succeeded in that goal lost a chunk of weight (about 3 stone) and built my running to a point where I ran 14 miles last July.

Then I decided I'd like to do a Marathon so chose the Long Course Weekend in Tenby S Wales as the one for me. That's the beginning of July this year. After reading the book "operation ironman" I had a moment of inspiration and decided that was the next thing on my list, planned for 2023 as I'd have to learn to swim, kind of a key part 😀. Anyway then they announced the 70.3 in Swansea and maybe allowing myself to be egged on by others and probably an element of foolish ego, I signed up. So that's August 7th this year. I've built up my swimming over the last couple of months from 200m with long breaks every length to 700m with shorter breaks mainly every 50m but no further yet. I can get in the pool about 4 times a week and my local pool does 45 minute sessions at the moment.

So here's what I need to know, do I have a snowballs chance in hell at getting it done, and what is my best option for training? Do I try and train for a full ironman distance? Treat the marathon as a long training run and then taper to the 70.3? And is 7 months now realistic to go from 700m in 50's too what is it? 2km or 1.9km open water with no breaks?? The swim in the part that terrifies me to be honest.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Hopefully some of you experienced triathletes can pass on some advice, it will all be appreciated.

Thanks

Dai

Comments

• By heck Dai....big ask there brother!!! doable if your not chasing a time but in reality you need some water help! Do you have a club local to you that you could join and get some guidance from? I would say, with the limited info given, that breathing will be your biggest barrier on the swim (well breathing and water position) as a new swimmer, and there's very little an internet forum can do for you from the safety of a keyboard! Where are you based? I too will be doing LCW so may be able to give you some help if your local ish