Home Chat General Chat

swimming training for beginners?

morning all.

new to the forum but been lurking for a week or two.

I'm a cyclist who fancies having a stab at a tri or two (did the relay version of London a couple of years ago and been swearing to give the whole thing a go some time)

Happy with my riding although there's always room for improvement. I'm riding 160-220km per week or so at the moment, a mix of steady stuff, recovery, and speedwork. Going to work in the running slowly in the New Year

but...the swim....eek!

I can swim, after a fashion :-) Used to do tonnes as a kid but for the last few years it's been more of a case of splashing around in the sea on hols.

The last 2 weeks, I've started swimming 'properly', partially thinking about a possible Tri, and partly to help my lower back problems, on the advice of my physio.

I'm in Manchester so using the Aquatic centre 50m pool, and for the last 2 weeks I've been going twice a week, putting in 1000m per session, just steady breast stroke laps, continuous, without rests. My main concern at the moment is getting some upper body strength built up, as having done nothing but ride for about 10 years, my wife tells me I resemble a T. rex - all big legs and weedy arms ;-)

I guess I build this up gradually from here - introduce a 3rd session, slowly build the distance (4 sessions ago I just about managed 1000m, this morning it was a lot easier and I definitely had something left in the tank at the end)

after maybe a month/6 weeks or so I'm hoping to start working in some crawl as that's obviously going to be the stroke needed, and then start thinking about some speed sessions.

I guess a refresher lesson may be an idea - I get the feeling that any attempt at crawl will result in some embarrasing flailing around, lots of water leaving the pool, and possibly clobbering my fellow swimmers.

any thoughts/ideas etc very much welcome!!

ta

Comments

• Wecome to the forum sse, sounds to me like you have a good plan and should get lots of tips/ideas from here. One thing caught my eye on your thread...Im not sure Id be using breast stroke mixed with lower back problems. Did physio suggest it? Im by know means a pro, but remember when I had a bit of a back problem and was told to stay away from breast stroke.
  • hmmm...thanks. something to think about. Seeing my physio this week so will ask. Thanks!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    We're recommended by our swimming coach to limit breast stroke, only to use in combination exercises (for example: arms crawl, legs breast stroke; really awkward feeling). Breast stroke seems to raise knee problems too.

I'd try and put in crawl as much as possible, only put in a lenght of breast stroke when necessary. I guess your first limiter will be breathing, especially the timing, which you will pick up by doing it.

Maybe you should watch the 'Total immersion' thread, maybe you could try this way of learning to swim the crawl technique properly.

I think you can go a long way with the biking and running plan you have.

2 more tips: -rest as you train, dont erase all the rest; thats when you get better.

-be consistent, consistency in training is key to good performance.

Keep tuned in on this forum, ask all you want, a lot of people know their stuff on here.(not sure if you can trustme though[:D][;)]).
  • [:)]swimming? im not the best 6 mins for 400mtrs pb 25 mins pb for 15oo mtrs open water...and im fat and 50 yrs old.. my question is this are there any swimming mags out there that are only for swimming? i mean we get cycling mags running mags etc etc but there seems to be none for swimming with training plans work outs and events to enter? am i missing out or is there nothing? what are good books, dvds, etc im interested....to here from you.
  • Ive tried finding something like that too belly, seems to be all American stuff. A good site for a lookj is goswim.tv, again its American but gives handy little video clips of the stroke etc they are talking about.
    Funny and true, Conehead. The points you mentioned are the same experience I have ( and most of us i guess). But pool training is good in winter to get that technique drills fresh in mind (and that lake is so damn cold).

Over here in Belgium, every chance we (me and my tri-colegues) get to swim open water is taken. Race specific training is golden. If it wasn't for us being a bit cowardly towards the cold, we'd spend allyear round training in open water.
  • Hey, it's a pleasure to participate in the forum, and it is really important ejercitarce, rather than a luxury, it'sa necessity, and the existence of forums such as these remind us of this importance, sailing find this information, I share it with you .... Thinking about a Weight Lifting for Beginners program

Then you are thinking about improving yourself, and it that is your case, then go for it, I am nothing but all for this incredible weight lifting for beginners program, because there are a lot of benefits that you could get from this incredible weight lifting for beginners program, and not only that, but it is also a great way for you to achieve a better life. So even thou it is for beginners, you could get some real improvements from it, and of course, after you are done with this weight lifting for beginners program,, you can move up to some expert training and after that, sky is the limit, so do something that is really good for your health, and start with a weight lifting for beginners program, I assure you that this is not like anything else, and you are going to be getting really powerful, so pay attention, since this is what you need to start doing.

Set up times in your day to get to do this weight lifting for beginners program, this is the best way in which you can arrange your day with your exercise included, also, try to get a lot of information and help from experts, both from your trainer at the gym, and also from a professional nutritionist, this will allow you to get a proper diet that will a good enough diet for you to get nothing but the best results out of your working out together with your meals. And one last thing, there are amazing things to gain with your weight lifting for beginners program, but you need to commit, that is the ultimate secret, if you commit to following all of your training routines and to keep on going to the gym then you are going to be seeing results, if not, then you may fail in your goal, so try to enjoy each and everyone of your sessions, this will allow you to have nothing but incredible final results.

This program may be for beginners, but let me tell you, the benefits are real and you are going to be getting a lot of these benefits, like an incredible body, an amazing immunological system and also a great perception of yourself, so follow a weight lifting for beginners, it doesn’t matter that it is for beginners, these weight lifting for beginners programs, really work and you will achieve your goals, so start today!

Visit us at: http: //weightliftingforbeginners.com/
    what's that odeur????

............ must be that post above mine smelling like a shameless wrapped up plug![8|][X(]

Just a quick thought[:)]
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    nearly as shameless as conehead.... [:D]
  • How do Andy,

u tube has some good clips on technique, upper body strengh isn't as important as this, one just follows the other, in the beginning try to get the technique right and start some good habbits early on.

Its easier to learn new habbits than get rid of old ones..

My god that was deep for me!!!
  • Hang on, hang on........

there I was in the pool trying to correct my kick the next thing I know im in the gym pumping Iron ? [:D]
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    LOL, you'll have to need a "great perception of yourself", to get an "amazing immunological system".

I can just imagine standing around in transition.."nice bike".."thats nothing, my immune system is amazing, in fact its red!"

I would rather settle for a normal immune system, one that just does what its supposed to, thank you very much. *rant over*
  • jasonculljasoncull Posts: 36
    the belly wrote:

[:)]swimming? im not the best 6 mins for 400mtrs pb 25 mins pb for 15oo mtrs open water...and im fat and 50 yrs old.. my question is this are there any swimming mags out there that are only for swimming? i mean we get cycling mags running mags etc etc but there seems to be none for swimming with training plans work outs and events to enter? am i missing out or is there nothing? what are good books, dvds, etc im interested....to here from you.

Crist, it's taking me 26 mins to do 400m at the moment.....I had better try harder