Home Chat General Chat

So more controversay for the weekend

I think these are actually a good idea - I'd certainly appreciate a 'novice' only race where I wasnt scared of being drowned in the swim start, getting in everyone's way in transition and being blasted past like I'm stood still on the bike and run.

I knocked a fast guy over in transition once, totally my fault and he cut his knee badly. Looking at this forum that guy prob wouldnt dare complain for fear of being called 'elitist'.

So I think you should show some sort of competency before attempting an IM? Totally. Surely from a safety point of veiw along with the 16hr cut off already in place this is a good idea? I saw at least 4 people being pulled out of the swim at IMUK last year along with at least the same again getting out themselves and calling it a day.

I'm fat and have only done 3 triathlons before anyone starts saying I'm some sort of triathlon facist.

Comments

• EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    is this not a recycled version of you last controversy......only more boring
  • So more controversay for the weekend!

Something even more controversial!

Major Contraversy!

Well I for one feel really welcome to the sport.................NOT!

I support anyone who take's the plunge into Triathlon, and yes it can be expensive (or rather expensive as you want to make it)

so why do you feel like you have to alienate those new to the sport ???

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    I wouldn't say these were controversial,as most already occur but are not enforced, except for the colour coded races and the bald/fat/ugly one, the later could be changed to read only allow athletes with a greater BMI than 25.The Full ironman races are starting to get filled up so quickly that entry is either by luck,getting a place the day after the race(i.e. you have just qualified by already doing the race),or getting an entry by means of another race,Ironman Austria being a prime e.g. as you get a voucher when you do the 70.3 race.

The wetsuit one provides a disadvantage for the racer in a non triathlon suit,as they are totally unsuitable for swimming,I can vouch from experience on that one.

Maybe some of the old hands are getting grumpy that these 'New kids on the block' are stirring it up without completing a full apprenticeship in the sport first,a little knowledge being a dangerous thing and all that.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    These threads did exactly what it said on the tin. They were billed as contraversial, therefore not meant to be comfortable reading. They air legitimate attitudes that do exist in all sports. They offered a forum for robust and frank debate which helps everyone to see all sides of the issue.

Sport has winners and losers, beauty and ugly this forum should reflect this reality it should not become a backslapping well done, everyones a winner, we're all above average.

Newcomers who ask the same old questions are not dismissed, some threads are genuinely humorous all are helpful

• Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    Here here.

• Are Treefrog and Conehead married? or the same person?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Far too contraversial and messy to go into ... I got the elitism and Conehead got the rights to the book[:D]