Home Chat General Chat

IMUK how's your training?

Hello everyone I know a few of you are also doing the UK Ironman and I just wanted to see how your training is going.

For me it goes as follows

Swim= Open water swim not to good but going down to Blueseventy for some training but the distance is fine

Bike= Going well got a couple of 112 mile rides coming up and feel that that is going well.

Runnning= Needs a little bit of tweeking, but genrally going well I can easily do the distance and still stand afterwards.

Happy training everyone and see you in August.

Comments

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    sounds as if you in pretty good shape, if you can fine tune the open water.

for me - swim am pleased with endruance side, tyring to improve technique

bike - time in the sadddle has been good but had big bike niggles resulting in a new frame!

run - done a couple of 20milles, now working on intervals - horrible sessions!

my main bug bear is my weight! it is not shifting! whilst upper body is shrinking, legs are growing!

ideally want to lose 1 stone before event - but cant see that happening! if you see a man looking hungry around ... it could be me!

as for the event itself - maybe could get a section for 220 forum members to congregate and have a natter. maybe we get a post going to this effect a couple of weeks before
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Happy days for me at the moment!

Tapering for my Half IM A race this weekend and feeling good physically at the moment.

Swim - Am doing 2 open water sessions a week. One Long Distance Endurance, the other more drills and speed work.

Bike - Following the disaster that was the Etap Caledonia my road biking has been restricted as the training bike was in for repairs. Having said that it's now time to spend all my riding time on the TT badger. Even set up a spin bike at work (I work in a gym) to within millimetres match up TT bike set-up. Got 2 full distance sessions to do in the coming 8 weeks and with my new compact chainset on, I feel the hills come race day will be far more manageable.

Run - I'm feeling better about this than I ever have. Running more efficiently than I ever have done before. Times are coming down and HR is staying the same. Need to push out a couple of 3 hour runs, as currently only stretching to 2 - 2:30 hours.

Bricks - Doing 2 short bricks a week (1 - 1:30 hrs) in the gym and one long brick at the weekend. Alternating it each weekend, to either a longer bike or longer run.

The demons are yet to rear their ugly head at the moment, and hoping the LD Training Days Conehead has set-up will tie off any concerns I have regardins transitions and may-day situation management.

Overall, I can have no complaints where I am sat. Only 2 months away is quite a thought though! [:D]
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I did Beaver other week but did my ITB in run. Finished anyway so at least I've practised a straight leg shuffle ready for the back end of the run. Physio gave go ahead for gentle run/cycle this weekend to see how it goes. Bit gutted really. Should be biggest few weeks coming up.

On a brighter note I found my catch last night, did 3000m open water and it was lovely.

Ade
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    My training for IMUK is to be fit enough to cycle across the pennines to the nearest bit of the bike course.. carrying a picnic hamper and a camera. Looking forward to it.
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284

On a brighter note I found my catch last night, did 3000m open water and it was lovely.

I'm so jealous of that my OW is not good.
  • Hi all,

For me swim is ok, I've done the distance a fair few times and a couple of open waqter swims, I love it.

Bike not too bad I guess, done one 150k and lots of 90-100k rides.

Run two 18 milers and loads of other various distances.

Wife had a baby on Wednesday so training is out of the window for the time being but hopefully get back soon (can't train with a hangover!)

And the Ironman panic is starting to set in.

Shaggy hope the leg gets better soon mate.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Was going great til my crash last week. Hopefully will start back on the turbo today so cycling should be fine. However I am unable to swimand run for another 4 weeks roughly, so the big day is going to be a tough one!
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Agent_ti

I read about your crash last on here last week, hope you're ok what's the deal was it your shoulder/collar bone?

Get well soon and at least you get to watch TV while on your turbo trainer.

And Stucrawford you're a brave man having a baby and an Ironman, either that or you're just crazy. If you've worked out the work/life/family/house/training ballance can you let us all know.

[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m16.gif[/image]

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Yeah fractured collar bone. Doctor says it will have healed fine by august, i just won't be fit enough to do an ironman, which just sounds like a challenge to me.

Wouldn't want it to be easy now would we...