Home Chat General Chat

Stitch

hbhb Posts: 22
Hi All

having problems with stitch whilst running all ideas as to why and how to cure it would be welcome

Comments

• MalMal Posts: 9
    I have been down this road myself and there is a host of options - try them all and find one that suits you.

1: Lean over and breath deep and slow while running

2: Maintain hydration - don't over hydrate

3: Create a rythymic breathing pattern - aligning your breathing with your foot fall

4: Carry 2 grapes in each cheek - the slow release of juicy grape hydration long carb energy offsets the stitch

Try them and see if they work (except 4 which is of course complete nonsense)
  • tony btony b Posts: 57
    I don't get them very often but when I did, I used to poke my fingers fairly hard into where the pain was - sounds weird, but it worked for me.

Interestingly, in the free sport magazine today, there was a bit about curing a stitch. Try www.myfreesport.co.uk.

It suggested deep breathing and pushing your fingers in under the rib cage. Shallow breathing, apparently, can bring on a stitch.

You're not eating too soon before exercise, are you? Might be worth experimenting with this, if you haven't done already