Home Chat General Chat

So, do you...

BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
After a conversation at the weekend..

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Absolutely train to race. Going longer this year means that I may use some events as training and practice races, but always training to perform at that A grade event!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Train to race for me!

Its what all the hard cold wet miles are for! And there have been some cold and wet ones since christmas.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The conversation was with someone about to fly to South Africa for IM, & he definitely races so he can train. Gets nervous is tetchy prior to races, bad dreams/nightmares etc & is glad when the race is over, but sees them as a necessary evil to test if the training is paying off, thus enjoying the journey & process more than the results.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Interesting one that. I reckon I actually fall somewhere between the two I reckon. I’m very competitive with myself, so train hard to do well in the races – and I really enjoy the competition and the day out. But one of the reasons I love tri is that it gives me a reason to get out and train. I used to be a bit of a gym boy – running was just to make my six pack look more defined, swimming was for when I got bored running and cycling was non-existant (hence my shit bike leg, but that’s another story for another thread). However I soon got bored with the pointlessness of lifting weights just to look good. When I did Blenheim one year with a few guys from work, I got hooked on the feeling when you cross the line. Not only that, it gave me a real sense of purpose – the running, swimming and cycling all has a reason.

I’m not sure if I have actually said anything there. But I’m tired from cycling to work and my tooth hurts (I may have overdosed on Ibuprofen and Paracetamol).
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Has to be the latter for me.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Really, it is a bit of both.. can't really separate one from the other.

I train to improve. The race tells me if the training was right - it is the benchmark of any improvement. Without the race, you can't tell how well the training is going. Both are enjoyable, in different ways. Of course, the idea of peaking at a particular time is also a key part of the fun.

However, racing/training isn't (typically) pleasurable in itself - it is always the feeling after the event. Racing makes the training worthwhile, and vice versa.

• JessterJesster Posts: 482
    @jack hughes- you know, i never really thought about it like that. It really is all about the feeling after the race/training.

A race is a goal, so i train to reach that goal and i feel focused. it keeps me eating healthily and not drinking too much but without a race to train for i kind of lose my way. Definitely most happy when training and making improvements!

I think i race to train. Hmmmmm.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    definitely train to race for me! i'd be happy racing every weekend. i love the feeling of racing. just you against yourself and the course. love it!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I think (based on running as my first tri isn't for about ) i fall in the middle but a little more on the Race to train side because although i am very competetive, and want do race, I also know that there is no way i am ever going to win or really even compete (unless I can find myself a way to become a full time amature triathlete - any suggestions?) so for me the race day is to see how I am improving against myself, how my training is going and to enjoy that rush/buzz when i finish an event.