Home Chat General Chat

Empty tummy

Hello All

Have a slight problem which i am hoping you guys may be able to help me with.

I wake up every morning so hungry i feel sick, dont worry i am not pregnant - this has been happening for the last six months or so. I have tried eating my evening meal later, tried having an extra snack, not having a snack and am running out of ideas! It doesnt seem to matter if i have trained or rested that day i am just as hungry. I am sick of waking up feeling sick - any ideas?

Thanks

Helen

Comments

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hi Helen,

I take it you're doing quite a bit of training just now? You don't mention the volume.

A bowl of porridge before you go to bed should help - with a spot of honey if you have a sweet tooth!

You could also try adapting your diet through the day - particularly with regards to your B-vitamin content (which helps release the energy content of the food you are eating) Pumpkin and sunflower seeds made a huge difference to me!

If anyone needs to know how to make proper porridge, just shout! (thats a thread all of it's own)
  • Hello

thanks for the help. I have recently stepped up my training a lot as the new season is almost upon us. I used to do super sprint tris but am going up a level to sprint tris hence the double training. I probably dont do as much as i should but i ride twice a week, swim three times a week, run twice a week. Each training session is between 45mins and an hour. I try to have a day off a week so some days i double up training so i will swim for 40mins at lunch then run in the evening. I eat as much as my fiance and he doesnt train at all. Will purchase some Vitamin B tablets to see if they help - thanks.

PS I hate porridge!!!!!!!!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I have a similiarish problem, except my body wakes me up in the middle of the night cos i'm so dam hungry.

I think it is caused with the extra training, in my case its cos I weight train in the late evening, I guess.

I got around it by having a bowl of cereal (weetabix) just before bed, as long as you have something fairly high in complex carbs and protein its all good!

• Bowls of cereal before bed are a godsend - definitely agree with previous posters. Although my cravings often veer towards the sweet childrens variety instead of the decent "set-you-up-for-the-day breakfast-variety".

I would be intrigued to know the special porridge making recipe though. I just use oats and skimmed milk, microwave for 3 minutes and all good! Then a healthy handful of raisins and a dollop of honey and i'm set for at least 3 hours before i'm hungry again!

I do emphasise though hsmith, on early morning training sessions I always get a sick feeling about 20 minutes in, which I take to meaning that my body has just run out of fuel! I find a banana first then when you wake up is always a good idea whilst getting kit on for early sessions or whilst you make your breakfast. A friend of mine actually used to set his alarm an hour before getting up for work/training to eat a banana and then go back to sleep. I appreciate the logic of it but is a bit too extreme for me!
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Helen,

how on earth can you hate porridge? Its the finest food ever created by man, the food of the gods, a sustaining wonder...!![;)]

Ask any scotsman (or woman) and they will all have different recipes and cooking methods - add salt, use milk, use water, microwave, on the hob, add sugar, honey.....

Personally I use skinny milk, a hefty pinch of salt and simmer on the stove for a couple of minutes.

Regardless of your, frankly insane, dislike, the posts are bang on - get some complex carbs in your tummy before bed, avoid the sugar and for goodness sake don't buy vitamin tablets - get your vits naturally!

I moved up from sprints to IM last year, getting the nutrition right has been just as important as the training!

best of luck.

Richard
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Agree with everyone about the carbs and about the absolute wonder that is porridge - with a squeeze of honey and some dried fruit - but I like to keep that for the am it's part of my pre training routine. In the late evening there are many other ways to get good carbs - a cup of tea and some Jaffa Cakes is my favourite - high carb and low fat. Or if you want to keep the breakfast theme going Nutrigrain bars are great for high carbs low fat.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Hey Samutri,

start that 'porridge-thread', interested in it, and I'm not the only one I think.

Honey and raisins are great in it. I do this often.

Try this one: prepare as usual, very hot. Throw in frozen raspberrys and blueberries, this cools it a little so you can eat it after a minute(handy when short in time in morning) and very tasty. Gets you going on the daily fruit and vegetable quota too[>:]