Home Chat General Chat

Fixed or Floating Cleats?

I've got Ultegra SPD's and note the opportunity to have fixed or floating cleats. I understand the difference but wonder about the advantages/disadvantges of the two versions.

Anyone help out please?

Comments

• learnerlearner Posts: 100
    With my limited knowledge i have found floating cleats offer more movement of the foot which can help prevent knee problems associatied with incorrect alignment of the cleat. i did read an article recently, can't remember where about setting your cleats up, it said about dangling your legs over the end of a bench or table and trying to mimic the angle that your feet hang in free air. Didn't work for me as my left foot hangs at about 30degrees toes in. wierd.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Float every time, unless you have perfect bio mechanics (& even then..) your foot/ankle/knee & hip joint all extend, flex 7 rotate during a pedal stroke, inevitably this means your foot rotates around the ball of your foot, if it is fixed in place then the next joint or two will take on that rotation, knee & ankle, both hinge joints with rotational capability, very limited at the ankle, less at the knee, the repetitive nature of a pedal action means long term shearing on the knee ligaments, which a best means pain, at worst tearing.
  • That's really helpful. Thanks.
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    Yeh i have floaters having previously had fixed and i love them. So much more freedom and movement. I've got knee probs but that's not why i got them - i needed new cleats and they were the only ones they had. Now i'm not sure i'd go back. You can move your foot around when cylcing to take pressure off etc hard to explain why i enjoy them so much...