Home Chat General Chat

Comfort on aero bars compared to drops

It would depend on what you find uncomfortable about drops. Is it a flexibility issue in your back and hamstrings - causing discomfort in your core? Or is it the arm fatigue of supporting more of your body weight?

I personally hate riding on drops. Only on descents would I use them. However, I absolutely love my aerobars and can spend hours on them with very little discomfort. Again, it takes sensible practice it get used to being in this position.

I have worked hard on my flexibility to make this transition from hoods to aero successful but it's been so worthwhile. For me being on the aerobars is worth 3 -4 kph, sure otherwise experience similar gains.

Comments

• Dukey3dDukey3d Posts: 19
    Hi, just wondering how comfortable aero bars are compared to riding on the drops?

I currently use the drops occassionally, but find it uncomfortable to spend over 10mins or so on them at a time. Does this mean that I'm likely to find aero bars equally uncomfortable?

I've got pretty poor hamstring flexibility, which I guess is a big factor.

• gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Aerobars every time for me.
  • Dukey3dDukey3d Posts: 19
    Thanks for your reply,

It's more a flexibility issue I think. I don't feel excess pressure on my arms, my core is pretty good, but I feel too stretched around my lower back/butt. I guess I need to spend more time stretching.

It's interesting that you find aero bars more comfy as I always thought being in that lower, more extreme position would be more uncomfortable than the drops. Do you feel that your forearms are bearing your upper body weight making it easier on your lower back?
  • once you use aero its hard to go back,more comfort and speed, the only draw back is group riding when you need to be closer to the breaks on a regular basis.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Using a road bike without aerobars the arms/wrists support a lot of weight whether on the hoods or drops.

When on aerobars you should be in a relaxed position, that is one reason why I do not like 'S' bars and prefer the 'skis', also see this:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

If you are using aero bars on a road bike you need to check out the fitting, have a look at this:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html
    Woops - sorry wrong link, see here:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I think it was treefrog on here that said if you plan to race on your aerobars then train on your aerobars - over the winter I made sure I got down on them regularly during my turbo sessions so when it came to my first race a few weeks ago I was acclimatised enough to get through most of the 23km at a recent race on them, the only time I really came off them was to climb and to neck a gel.
    Same here, I train on my tri bike and even when doing Spin at the gym I am always down on the bars. I do use my road bike but to be honest it now feels strange.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I also assume the position in spin classes so the body gets sed to pedalling in that position, it also seems to make a huge difference to my pedalling efficiency. Also, the run on the treadmill directly after is a little easier.
    Absolutely right - don't know if its psychological but when I look at the rpm and then go aero the rpm increases!!! Honestly, I think my body is no attuned to working in that manner.