Home Chat General Chat

training plan

So tonight Im planning on re-writing my training plan for over summer, including goals and when I want to achieve them. Im not training for an event as I dont have all the right kit and wont for a while. I will probably compete in competitive runs and Aquathlons to see where I stand.

So I was wondering if anyone on here had any advice for me before writing this up.

thanks

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    you sound like you have it cracked already..start at the end & work back..ie target events & work out your schedule from there. Sounds easy right? This from someone who almost plans every year....
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    cheers, just thought Id ask before doing it as you guys on here seem to have a wealth of info...

thanks
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    There was an article in the magazine a couple of months ago about setting SMART goals. You may want to reread it at some point whilst writing your plan. The whole ethos of SMART goals allows you to define your main goals and then set your interim goals to ensure you achieve the main ones.

This can include things that you may not have considered. For example: If your main goal is to do an Olympic distance triathlon but you can't do open water swimming because you don't have a wet suit then an interim goal will be to get an wet suit. Before you can do this you need to decide if you are going to buy, borrow, rent, steal (not recommended) one. If the answer is to buy then what is the budget, new or second hand, where from?

Given that you presumably have a date for the triathlon you wish to do then you can work back to set dates for being able to train in open water and from there you can identify when you need to have the wet suit issue sorted out.

If you're really keen you could do a SWOT analysis as well.

Ash
    Yeh Ill check that out thanks. I appreciate the advice.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi there,

hope you have put a good plan together. I try and do two sessions of each discipline each week - it doesn't always work! Advice I was given though was never play catch up, if you miss a session, miss it and forget it, don't try and squeeze it into the days that are left!

Best of luck!
    Thanks Legalbegal, I got that same advice actually. I have a friend who has done 3 ironman triathlons and he has been a big help.
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    [quote]Advice I was given though was never play catch up

What do you do if you seem to be forever playing catch up .[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m12.gif[/image]
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    Advice I was given though was never play catch up, if you miss a session, miss it and forget it, don't try and squeeze it into the days that are left!
    This may depend a little on how you've created your training plan and which session you missed. If your plan has key sessions and you have to miss one then you may want to see if it can be inserted into your schedule IN PLACE OF a different non-key session.