Home Chat General Chat

Garmin 305..... Satellite

sometimes, I find if it starts to take a while turn it off the turn it on again and it works ok. Also certain things can upset a 305, phone masts, electricity sub stations etc....

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    My Garmin 305 seems to take ages searching for a satellite.... and then doesnt find them.

I live in central london and dont understand it. Anyone else have this problem?
    in the end I just give up and just use it as a HRM and timer...
    Does anyone use the Foot pod for the 305? might try this instead.....
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Move out of London? But seriously, mine also takes a while..sometimes. It has also asked me if I am indoors, which I find a little intrusive & I feel it should know itself without me having to tell it..I digress, so I often spend the first few minutes of my run sitting on the wall outside my house waiting with one arm up in the air..don't think it helps but it amuses the neighbours. As mentioned a quick on & off sometimes speeds up the searching process. Previuosly I had a Timex one & took to wearing the sensor pod under my hat in the winter as this picked a signal up significantly quicker than on my arm..or antwhere else, bit stuck in the summer tho.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    First question is where did you buy yours from. I know some people who have picked up Garmin's on Ebay from the States that initially haven't worked over here due to some sciencey fangled thing about different satellite distribution or similar. I initially had this trouble with my last Garmin.

In any case you can get downloadable updates from the Garmin websites. Plug your Garmin in download the most up to date software.
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    I always switch my 305 on while still in the house and point it at the window, its seems to like finding the signals while not moving about.
    Mine was from Malaysia, so this could be the problem. I guess I will keep trying... Ive bought a footpod now anyway.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Yeah mine takes a while. I always stick mine on the window ledge prior to changing for a run/bike etc. Then when I am about to go it nomrally has picked the satellites up
    OK, new question..so much easier than reading the manual. When I do two sessions in one day, or actually 2 sessions without the opportunity to download, I seem to get one long session, my monitor doesn't seem to understand STOP, it hears pause (for 24 hours?) and then carries on as if its all one session. How can I separate out differing sessions on the smae day or spread over several days? With my polar once I hit stop, session is over & a new one begins.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    When youve done one session and you want to start a new fresh one, hold LAP down and the watch will count down 3, 2, 1 then youl start a new workout. You dont lose any data, it stores everything from the last session it just means you can do more than 1 run a day without having to continue where you left off. Hope that answers that for you mate, good luck!!
    Fantastic! exactly the answer I needed, I am humbled by your dedication to manual reading & technical ability.

Thanks.
  • trijunkerstrijunkers Posts: 55
    Believe it or not the reason is that when it's cold it takes longer for the watch to link to the satellites. On a hot day it'll only take a minute or two - on a really cold day it could take up to 10 mins! Try it and you'll see!
    But its always cold for the sattelites..in space no one can hear you freeze.