Home Chat General Chat

Back to carbon bikes.....

sfullersfuller Posts: 628
So again, Im searching the net to find what bike I can buy with my 1000-1200 budget.... Ive looked at the Cannondale Caad9 bikes suggested by TreeFrog but these only seem to come with Shimano 105..... Ive looked Trek and these are abit out of my budget but again only with Shimano 105....

Then again I get drawn back to the Focus Cayo.... carbon, Shimano ultegra..... how can Focus make this bike with these components but keep the price to £1000....??

I hope someone can answer as I dont want to spend my money on a bike which isnt going to last or up to scratch.

Thanks

p.s. what do people think about buying a bike of ebay (assuming it is the right size)?

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I live close to a major very cheap mail order company.a A few years ago I' went to their warehouse and got a look around. Atthis point they were mainly into mountain biking, so Shimano XTR was (is?) the holy grail. The centre piece of any groupset is the rear mech. which in the shops is lavishly packaged and hideouly expensive, this company were selling them at cut price - how? well I saw 3 barrels of XTR rear mechs (I was abble to dig my arms into the barrel and let those mechs flow through my fingers ; like a pirate at a tresure chest) along with all the other lesser groupsets. They bought in bulk, packaged themselves and sold high volume at cut price. All those ultra good value bike company must do the same!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I guess so....

Got my mind set now on which bike I want, bit more saving to do though. settled on Trek Madone 5.1.

thanks again
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I love the old madones, my friend rides one and a strong wind would blow it away its so light. Not too sure on the new frame shapes though. The manufactorers pics dont always show a bike in its best light.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I like to new frame shapes.... im going to head to Evans today to see one 'in the flesh' and see if I still like them.