Home Chat General Chat

T1

sfullersfuller Posts: 628
So how should T1 actually go?

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    for me it goes:

(all this while running to bike!)as i'm stepping out the water, reach back and pull down zip on wetsuit, pull out left arm, pull out right arm, pull wetsuit down to waist, take off goggles and cap. when i get to my bike, drop cap and goggles, pull wetsuit down as far as it will go, stand on it to make it easier to get out of. helmet on, sunglasses on,number belt on, grab bike and run to bike mount line (you may have guessed me cycle shoes are attached to my pedals!). get on bike and start pedalling, put feet in shoes and buckle up when it is safe to do so![8D]
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    With less than a week to go brfore my first tri, i haven't practised with my shoes already clipped in. What's the best alternative or should I be out every night this week practising?
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    not unless you've got tri specific cycling shoes. if you've got normal cycling shoes the pull over strap can get caught in your chain and the shoe's usually dont open up wide enough. and i dont think a week is long enough to get properly used to it! just stick the shoes on before you take your bike off the rack and run with them on.

a big word of warning though: if you are running on a smooth surface (such as concrete) be very very carefull as there is almost no grip on the bottom of cycling shoes! if you're on grass it's a lot easier.

good luck for the tri! Which one are you doing this weekend?
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    sfuller wrote:

So how should T1 actually go?

Like a well oiled machine but guarranteed to turn out like 'carry on Triathlon'.

The key is in the layout of not just your own gear but the Transition area itself,at the next event take a few minutes to watch the headless chickens trying to find their,bike,helmet,toilet,and the entry and exit lanes for the bike and run.If you do decide to put the shoes in their clips it helps if the right shoe goes on the right pedal.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    It usually goes like this (to the tune of the Benny Hill theme music):

Go nuts in the swim, fail to get out of the water because your arms/legs are too tired. If it is a pool based swim you can flop out on your belly, walrus stylee. Another competitor will helpfully stand on you while you lie there.

Drop your goggles, get knocked over picking them up.

Pin your race number to your shirt, making sure you pin both sides together so you can't put it on.

Take a short cut across the gravel when you run out of the pool, so your feet are covered in stones when you put your shoes on.

Lose your bike. Properly. Forgetting your race number is good at this point.

When you find your bike, unrack it (collecting a 2 minute penalty) then re-rack it and put your hat on. Try to tangle your brake cables around the bike next door for extra skill points.

Fumble a bottle of lucozade into your kit box, filling your running shoes up with sticky liquid (this will help in T2 later on).

Fall over trying to run on your cleats (think this was already covered).

Get to the start box, clip one foot in and be grateful that you left it in top, so you can fall off trying to hammer your 54/11 gear from a standstill.

Most importantly: learn from all your mistakes, enjoy it, and do better next time!

Good luck! [:D]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    haha some quality responses! good to see its that easy..... [8|]
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The classic has to be:

Exit swim,allowing water to drip down your bronzed,muscle toned body,as you glide effortlessly towards the transition area.Dance passed the other competitors struggling to change and unrack their bikes.You stop and in one movement place your glasses and helmet on your head,smile and wave at you family and say" good morning " to the referee as you unrack the bike and sprint to the bike mount area.With a single bound you leap onto your steed and place your feet into the shoes already clipped in,as you struggle to fit your size 10's into the size eight shoes you realize that your bike is bue and red ,not black and yellow,wobble with the thought of "oh c**p".Where did I rack my bike now.The long walk back shows there is no place to hide you just hope that the bike can be replaced before the owner finds out.Best of luck.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    jon_g wrote:

good luck for the tri! Which one are you doing this weekend?

Thanks for the tip. I do have tri specific shoes, but still getting used to them. I might give it a miss and run in them. I'm doing the Eton Super Sprint in Saturday at Dorney Lake.
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    A piece of advice i was given which is what i use to base my actions on is "be in control of whats within your power, as there are plenty of things out of your control to go wrong." Something like that anyway.

So dont do anything that isnt well rehersed. I will wear tri cycle shoes on feet but then leave on the bike on way into T2........if i complete the swim that is[:)]