Home Chat General Chat

Continental Turbo Tyre Fitting.

So I have my CycleOps Fluid 2 Turbo and got myself Continental Turbo Tyre. I removed my old tyre (As I plan on using my old wheels as turbo/training wheels and purchasing some new ones for race) and slowly managed to get the first side of the Turbo tyre on, slipped the inner tube in and then, disaster.... after fighting with the tyre for a long long time I couldnt get it on.... dont know why... in the process managed to pinch two inner tubes.... [:@]

Ive given up now, hoping I can get some advice on how to get this tyre on!

I have some cheap Shimano 500 (i think?!?) wheels which are 622 x 15c, the tyre is 700 x 23c, these should fit together.

Any Clues?

Also, does anyone know of any good tyre levers as I managed to break mine tonight? [:D]

Thanks

Samuel

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    The continental tyre gets great reviews and i've also got one.

When i was looking around i kept coming up with people who'd had this problem!.

As i'm crap - no cluesless about changing tyres -(training required!) i took it straight to the local bike shop and 5 mins and a couple of quid later - done!

Suggested the same.

G
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    think i might do that. Even though I have changed many MTB tyres this turbo tyre eludes me....

Thanks
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Is it a folding tyre? You could try stretching it if so by hooking it through your foot and pulling up on it, though i never seem to be able to make this any different. Otherwise just use the tyre levers to lever the thing on. If youve got on side on, partially inflate the inner put on the rim and get it in place the roll the other side of the tyre as much as you can. Then get all the air out of the inner and gently lever the rest of the tyre onto the rim, holding the lever close to the tyre to avoid snapping the lever (which i have done many times!) and you should be able to force it on. Then check that it is seated properly and inflate
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    i had this problem!!!

I solved it by laying the tyre on a heater 4 5-10 mins to warm it a little bit, its still harder than a regular tyre to get on but it makes it a lot easier!
  • snowysnowy Posts: 4
    I think it's just the nature of the hard compound this tyre is made of...

I had a bit of a struggle to get it on and it still doesn't look like it's seated properly but seems to work fine on my trainer
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I changed mine tonight and had few problems, but I did put the old one partly inside the new one to shape it. I took a bit of time shaping it and then slowly put it onto the rim, it was not really any different to any folded tyre. Shape it first then ease it on?
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Thanks. What do you mean shape it?

I think Im going to take it down to CycleSurgery tomorrow and ask them to do it, I cant be bothered to fight with it anymore.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Make it less like a pancake and more like a sausage. Go around it with your hands, running your index finger around the inside line