Home Chat General Chat

Cervelo Soloist

I know there has been quite a lot about this on here, I have read them all, but I have a couple of questions that I hoped members of this forum (treefrog!) could answer...

So this is the one I like/can afford... Cervelo Soloist

A- I cant find any information about this frame, is it carbon? alloy?

B- How exactly does this convert into a TT/Tri frame?

And on a slightly seperate note, how exactly is a TT/Tri frame/setup better than a normal road race frame/setup?

I appreciate any help

Samuel

Comments

• Thats the soloist team, so its alloy not carbon, but from all reports it has excellent geometry and kicks the ass of many a carbon frame. Correct me if I am wrong but i think it is the reversible seat post which makes the conversion, treefrog will explain in more detail.

Check out slanecycles.com as I think they have the ultegra build for cheaper, with free shipping.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    More or less correct Tommitri. There are 3 soloists:

Soloist Team the original - Aluminium frame, Soloist Carbon standard frame (red colour) - Carbon frame and the Soloist SL ; sl stands for super light (black colour). The black Soloist SL is 100g or so lighter than the red Soloist but has been engineered not to be any flexier. Otherwise both frames are the same.

It gets complicated when you delve into the 2009 range. They are all renamed.

The Soloist Team is now called the S1, the (red) Soloist now called the S2 (and has a different colour) and the Soloist SL has been reworked and is called the S3.

The S3 is for all intents and purposes a new model (used in the Olympics by Schleck and Canadian Triathlete). The jury is out on it as it is reported to be heavier than the excellent Soloist SL that it replaced, but having seen one I think it is a better frame for road racing and tri as it is more aero and stiffer.

I do wonder why Cervelo have decided to discontinue the Soloist SL and not the standard Soloist - it may have been because most people were opting for the much cheaper and only slightly heavier standard Soloist than the extravagant SL model.

One other thing the standard Soloist (red) and now the S2 have a reversible seat post - ie you can convert it between trei and road geometry. As far as I know this is not possible in the Soloist SL (because the weight saving is in the seat tube & post).

I should get out more!

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    thanks for the info. Im thinking instead of buying a new bike, I may build one over the winter... starting with a Cervelo Soloist frame....
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I've bought the soloist teamlast month, and yes thats the alloy one.

The seat post can be reversed so that road geometry becomes tri geometry and vice versa. So you've got 2 bikes in one (which is handy for the budget[;)]). It simply shifts the seat angle for more aggressive riding (with aero bars).

I'msure treefrog can explain even better (and he'll advise to take the carbon one, which is a good thing,cause youknow: it's[color=#cc0000] RED[/color][color=#000000].[/color]

you could also get this one:

[image]local://1428/65D9694273484563BDE029C73B203231.jpg[/image]
    Ok,so posted at the same time treefrog was writing.

Suppose there is some kind of telepathy here!?[8D]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Benny,

Do you keep it in the TT/Tri position then?
  • treefrog said
    I should get out more!

What, do more cycling?

sfuller wrote:

Benny,

Do you keep it in the TT/Tri position then?

No, for the moment I keep in road setup. I did my last race and TT with my previous bike, cause I wasn't used to the new one yet. (would be a shame to crash it in it's first weeks).

I'll keep it in this setup until after base training, then shift to TT setup. Time enough to get uptospeed for the race season.
    SPAM TO PAGE 2
    Just a little more about the Soloist C. There is going to be a significant price hike soon, possibly get the 2008 frames/bikes asap before the price goes up!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I was told that Cervelo were going to try and keep the prices the same for the 09 frames, despite the production cost increases, was I miss informed?
    I think its a case of shopkeepers budgeting for heating and lighting etc over the Winter